Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Auto-update in Create Investment from Investments

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:55 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Understood, thanks for the feedback. It does work now as you describe, where when you first create the new/blended investment it only creates prices over the "common" date range where all source investments have pricing data. Once created however, and source that gets updated will also update the destination. One work-around for your described situation is to delete and re-create your blended investment. I realize it isn't as convenient, but hopefully the number of times you go and get more historical data is small.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 am

Hi Mark, I'm in the process of adding more historical data, from various sources here and there, to all my investments. So, indeed, many of the calculated investments will have to be rectified. I think I will delete manually the wrong starting price range for each, instead of delete/recreate the investments.
Great if you could make this change for a future update, even if in the next major.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Rectification:

The Create Blended Investment command works perfectly well. When more historical prices are added to a source investment, the destination investment first price is (or becomes) always the first price "in common" for all the source investments. That's excellent.

But it is not the case with the Create Investment from Investment command. So the request is for this command. It should behave the same as Create Blended Investment, IMO.

I hope it's clear...
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Good point, that does make sense. Thanks for the info/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Mark, another minor suggestion on the price update algorithm, don't know if it's easily feasible: updating the destination prices after adding or removing a split into one of the source investments.
I'm not talking about the "split adjusted" state (activated / desactivated). I've understood the destination prices are always calculated split adjusted. But currently the split(s) in the source investments has(ve) to be here during the creation of the destination investment. After its creation, if we add a split into one of the source investment, it is not taken into account anymore. Would be nice if it could.

Considering the following scenario (I'm facing it currently): we import/download more historical prices into a source investment. Within theses additional historical prices there is a split. We are stuck, we can't add it after the import as it won't be taken into account in the destination investment. We have to recreate the destination investment.

This little request for the both commands Create Investment from Investments and Create Blended Investments. I realize the request is very specific but it would be nice in the long run.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Good point again thanks. We'll see about trying to make these improvements.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Mark,

An idea again (sorry for the flooding...): the ability to relaunch the full calculation of any destination investment. Perhaps from a button in the Auto-Update list dialogs. This would be handy because the prices in the destination can be "corrupted" in different ways: a bad import in a source investment or in the destination investment, some bad prices downloaded, any mistake on prices (deletion, modification...). So we could simply delete manually all the prices in the destination investment then relaunch the full calculation of it without having to recreate it from the start (that is, having to delete it the auto-update list, recreate the rules of calculation..).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Makes sense, thanks for the idea/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 am

Hi Mark,

The Auto-Update List for the Blended Investments command displays the investments by investment names.

The Auto-Updat list for the Create Investment from Investments command displays the investments with symbols.
It's not easy to find an investment in this list. Instead, wouldn't it be better to display in this list the destination investment names, as for the Blended investments dialog?
The calculation details (operator) could be added in the bottom of the dialog:

20180203-sam.16h46-01.png
20180203-sam.16h46-01.png (69.49 KiB) Viewed 5148 times

In addition, if you agree with this change, perhaps the investments names could be displayed alphabetically in the lists, instead of by date of creation? It would be handier to find the desired investment. Or is there an ordering concern so the order of creation have to be maintained in the list?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

The reason we chose to use symbols in this dialog is that you have to display 3 investments per line, and symbols are generally shorter than names. The full name and sub-portfolio location are shown down below when you select an item. We could show the operator down below as well, but it isn't really adding more information. It would be better to list these alphabetically instead of in the order defined. That would be true for the blended investment case as well. Thanks for the feedback, we can think about this.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks Mark for the reply. Very often (and aways as far as I'm concerned), the symbol is not as meaningful as the name of the investment. The list in the screenshot is not very friendly to say the least. I think sorting alphabetically this list of symbols will not be of great help. In fact, to find an investment in this list, I only look at the field "Destination" at the bottom of the dialog, not the list itself. So my suggestion for displaying the destination investments names instead, and the calculation details at the bottom of the dialog (as in the Auto Update list dialog of the Blended Investment command).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of just listing the destination in the list, and then show the sources/operator of the selected destination item below. The destination will be listed using your preference for investment display. This will make this dialog consistent with the blended investment list dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feedback