Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Lost Money: Points to Need for New FM Feature

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby El Wealtho » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Investment price misreported on graph as FM was unable to retrieve currency exchange rate required. This went on for several weeks before I noticed it. (I had traded on the misinformation.)

Suggestion: FM should report/list the items after each price update for which it was unable to get prices.

Thx.
El Wealtho

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:41 am

Hi El Wealtho,

Sorry to hear about this.

We do plan to improve the logging and flexibility on warning/errors for price retrieve. As it is now, you will get a message box if one of the quote servers was not able to retrieve any pricing. You won't get an error message if that quote server just didn't retrieve some investments though, which it sounds like is your case. Currently there are a few things you can do:

1) If you turn on "Options / General Preferences... / Display / Confirmation Notices" this will give you more verbose messages. It is global, so you may not like leaving it on as you'll get a lot more confirmation messages. For price retrieves however, it will give you the number of prices updated. This still isn't going to tell you if only certain investments from a server didn't update, but if you know the correct number of prices, this will give you a good idea if all your prices updated or not.

2) Run a Portfolio Value report for any date you want to check on recorded pricing. There will be as asterisk (*) next to any price being shown that is being interpolated. That indicates there is not a price for that investment on that date.

3) #2 is good, but if you have a lot of investments and want to sort by when they were updated, you can create a Custom report with the field "Latest price date". You can then sort the report by this field using the "Sort" menu. I'd suggest creating this report without sub-totals for this purpose. This way you can see when your investments were last updated, and quickly find any that were not updated.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby El Wealtho » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:18 pm

In my case, now that I look back at it, my issue was somewhat different from what I have reported here. Yahoo had changed the symbol for the price of gold in USD and FM was not retrieving this.

I was viewing this in the FM price graph FX-adjusted in CAD unaware that anything was wrong (the graph continued on with no indication that anything was awry). I caught the problem when I noticed and then finally investigated the diverging price graphs for the price of gold and the ETF that tracked it.

Takeaway: anything that cannot be updated should trigger an alert AND anything that depends on an input (for example, a currency exchange rate) that could not be updated should also trigger an alert.

Hope this is helpful ..
El Wealtho

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 am

Hi El Wealtho,

I can tell you this improvement has been added to the next major release. You will now have control over the verbosity of the warnings when a price retrieve fails. The default option for verbosity will warn you whenever any requested symbol does not update. This would include any FX rates you're retrieving, as they are investments too.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback