Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Hidden Investments.

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby aviator » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:16 am

Hi Mark,

Just want to provide feedback on hidden investments.

1) In my opinion, the total of a report or screen display should ALWAYS equal the sum of its individual entries (i.e. the rows above it). I cannot be emphatic enough about this.

2) When an investment is hidden with a non-zero balance, the total does not equal the sum of the rows above it. The result is much time spent hunting down the offending transaction. Worst, unless an investment is un-hidden (via the individual security or the global setting), this exercise is futile.

3) Might I suggest the following logic be incorporated:

- If the sum of all rows does not equal the total, the user is presented with a row that says something to the effect of "Hidden Investment [name of security] equals..." The wording doesn't matter as much as the row appearing and alerting the user that the sum of rows does NOT equal the total. Perhaps this row could be italicized or bolded to indicate its importance.

- Perhaps this feature could be toggled, if some users wish to have it in its present state. (Not sure why anyone would like it this way, but I can't speak for all). The toggle would allow the "switching on/off" of such a row appearing.

Thanks.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:41 am

Hi Aviator,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree this would be a good improvement, and it has been on our "to-do" list for a while. We'll see about increasing the priority to get this added into the next major release.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:30 pm

I too find the process of discovering that an investment I know I have doesn't appear in the reports because a prior holding in that portfolio which was sold, now causes a current holding to be hidden, which makes no sense to me. So if I ever have a holding in an equity in a portfolio, sell it then acquire it again, it won't appear in a report unless I specifically go in and uncheck the hidden property. With ~60 equity holdings spread across half a dozen sub-portfolios, it is impossible to remember which one(s) ever had that holding at some point tin the past. When updating FM transactions, I'll check to see that the transaction that took place shows up in the downloads (which it always does), but I don't believe I should have to go thru and check to see if a current holding appears across all of the reports. I depend on the reports to show me my current holdings.

I too hope that this item will find a higher priority on the todo list. Aviator's suggestions were very sound.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi dbender54,

Okay, understood, thanks for the feedback. I do expect we will address this in the next major update.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:06 pm

I've no idea of the effort or complexity of the programming required, but logically if the transaction date and type of a buy in a particular sub-portfolio is newer than any that have been sold (and therefore marked as hidden ) should not be hidden and either added to existing open positions of the same security or added as a new open position. I'm not a an active trader, but it would not be uncommon for me to buy/sell and repeat an equity in the same account in the same year, or across years. So this is not an everyday problem for me, but not an uncommon one.
Thank you for reviewing what may be required.
dbender54

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:01 pm

I suppose this request here : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3899 meets the ones in this post?

I too find painful to play with the "Hidden Investments/Portfolio" command and the "Do Not Display Investments With Zero Share Balance" option to display in the reports the lines I want. And often I can't obtain what I want, either to many lines are displayed (with zero shares), or some lines I want are hidden. Frustrating. And I don't want to modify the hidden property at the investment level only for a report. Great if it's in the todolist for the next release!

I support too this idea: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4095
Djobydjoba

Postby chrishaiden66 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 am

Hi aviator,
this information you provided was really informative. it helped me in gaining much more knowledge and getting updated on this topic. Would like be a part for more discussion on it.
chrishaiden66

Return to Feedback