Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

New features for a dividend investor

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby dkuntzel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:57 am

I love FM and I use it to track the performance and dividends by period for my 3 different portfolios. It is very easy to use and I also like the ability to tag funds by sector type. The software is also supported so much better than just about anything else that I use it is really cool. None of these things can be done with my on-line broker.

I recently became aware of a website while reading the monthly AAII journal that allows users to project future dividends by inputting initial investment, current yield, and dividend growth rate. The article in AAII was written by Lowell Miller (noted author & book seller) and the website is mhinvest.com.

To use this website I download my portfolio data and use excel to create total portfolio yield and dividend growth rate. The growth rate is a little tricky to calculate so I do it using each stocks 1 year and 5 year rates provided by my online broker.

Is there any way that the total portfolio yield and dividend growth rates could be calculated by FM? Or maybe even project future dividends? Could it be that it can be done today and I just don't know how to? These would be major features and it seems would be needed by many dividend investors like me. Thanks for everything Mark.

Doug K
Tulsa, Oklahoma
dkuntzel

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the nice comments on Fund Manager, glad you find it helpful.

You can get the portfolio yield from Fund Manager. You can get either a ROI (time and money weighted) yield, or TWR (time weighted only) yield. You can get this in a variety of places, but the "ROI Yield" and "Time Weighted Return" reports are one common place. Fund Manager can calculate yields for any object: Investment, Symbol, Asset Type, Investment Goal, Sector, Investment Type, Currency, or a sub-portfolio.

Fund Manager doesn't have any sort of prediction capability for dividend growth rate. It can however show you expected future dividends/income, based off your settings for each investment under "Investment Properties... / Income". In this dialog you can enter either bond style interest, or dividends. For example, you can enter in the current dividend paid by each stock, and you'll be able to see an expected income schedule under "Reports / Income Schedule...". If you wanted to have Fund Manager calculate some other figures for you, you can use some Custom Investment Property, and define your own equation for a Custom report field. The Custom Investment Properties are available in all versions, but the ability to write your own custom report equations is a Professional/Advisor version feature. You could maybe record your "dividend growth rate" number as a custom investment property. You could then use that in your calculation. For a related example of doing this for expense ratios, check out:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/expense_ratio.php

You can also get a dividend yield calculation for your investments. See the "Custom" report, and look at either the "Dividend Yield" or "Expected dividend yield" fields.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby flight » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Mark, can you elaborate a little more on this last point.

You can also get a dividend yield calculation for your investments. See the "Custom" report, and look at either the "Dividend Yield" or "Expected dividend yield" fields.

When I run the Expected Dividend Yield report, I see dividend yields for each investment, but I am trying to get the blended dividend yield for the entire portfolio. Is there a way to do this?

And, separately, I have a question on dividend tax withheld - which is related to the Expected Dividend Yield report because it is based off the last dividend -- but will post in the existing post on that topic.

Thanks
flight

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 am

Hi flight,

Sorry, the Expected Dividend Yield doesn't report for combined objects, like portfolios. It is share price based. From the online help:

Annualized dividend yield expected to be earned in the future. The value is a percentage. Calculation is based on the ending share price, the last received dividend amount, and frequency of dividends. If the investment's properties have specified a dividend income style then the number of payments per year is used for the frequency of dividends. Otherwise, the frequency of prior recorded dividends is used. In this case, possible frequencies are 1 year, semi-annually, quarterly, or monthly. Defaults to quarterly if only a single dividend is recorded.

One option to get an expected dividend yield for your portfolio is to use a custom investment property, and write your own equation. It would be similar to the example here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/expense_ratio.php

but instead of expense ratio you would program in income ratio. It is quite a bit of manual work to set this up and maintain.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback