Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Questions / Suggestions from new 9.0 user

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby sharadm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:05 am

I just bought Fundmanager and started moving things over. A couple of comments:

1) It would be very useful if in the portfolio view there was a "total" row at the bottom - that's a very easy way to see a bottomline view without having to open a report. For instance, if you have a value or a historical basis column, this would give the total value of the portfolio.

2) Most people have a lot of their net worth in real estate - it would be nice if there was some first class asset type to represent owned real estate. This is even more useful if (like me) you have a rental property - it would be great to have some structured way to account for rent, taxes, depreciation, maintenance, etc.

- Sharad
sharadm

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Sharad,

Thanks for the ideas/feedback.

1) One thing you can do is to select a higher level sub-portfolio on the left. For example, if you have:

Code: Select all
Master
  - My Holdings
     - Brokerage A
     - Real Estate
  - Indices

If you hilight "Master", then you will see a line item for "My Holdings" and "Indices". The fields in the list view will be filled in for "My Holdings".

2) You may want to set up an asset type under 'Options / Category Labels...' for this, so you can track that category.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sharadm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:06 pm

1) Yes - I see that. I still think it would be useful to duplicate that information as a "summary" row at the bottom of the view - this is how every portfolio I've seen works :-). Since you clearly already have this data this should be fairly trivial to do.

2) Yes - I can change the asset type, but what I was looking for is an "investment type" of real estate, where the entry fields etc are correct. For instance, right now I have to pretend that there is one share with a price of the house ...
sharadm

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:35 am

Hi Sharad,

1) Understood, thanks. I agree that would be helpful.

2) Okay.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:46 am

Is it possible to set up a sub-portfolio as above for Real Estate that contains rental income and have that rental income go to a different sub-portfolio?

Setting up the "Income" tab on gives the choices of ( No Income / Bond Interest / Dividend ). Would there be a preferred choice?
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:12 am

Hi Scott,

Sure, just create a new sub-portfolio and put your rental investments in there. I usually suggest treating these like cash investments, where the value = shares, and keep the price fixed at 1. All transactions are done at a price of 1.

To use the income schedule feature you could use either style, but the "Dividend" style might be simpler.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks. If I put the rental assets in a separate sub-portfolio, can I have the income show up in a different sub-portfolio where it actually goes in real life so that the reconcile feature works correctly without me having to manually make the entries? The rental income is directly deposited into a retail brokerage account that has other assets. If the income from the rental properties doesn't show up there then the account will not reconcile.
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:13 am

Hi scott,

Yes, you can do this. For the properties of this rentals sub-portfolio, for the default cash account, you can choose the "Show all" button, and then pick the cash account from a different sub-portfolio. Alternatively, you can record both halves of the transaction manually. Whenever you receive income, record the distribution in the rental investment, and a buy into the desired cash investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback