Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bring FM to a new level with calculated investments

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

What window are you selecting this command from? If you start in the Portfolio Editor window, all of those default to your currently selected investment, and the destination will default to "New investment". In your example, if you select the S&P 500 that should be the selection for both source 1 and source 2 when you open this dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:52 am

Hi Mark,

I always select the command from the Portfolio Editor window.
My investments are spread in several sub-portfolios, and source investment 1, source investment 2 and destination investment are not necessarily in the same sub-portfolio.

Mark wrote:In your example, if you select the S&P 500 that should be the selection for both source 1 and source 2 when you open this dialog.

No, this doesn't work that way for me. Here's how it works for me, based on my testing :

When the command is re-selected, the value in the fields "Destination Investment" are always the values from the last executed command. To be more accurate, the sub-portfolio field is replaced by the top parent portfolio in the case where another sub-portfolio has been selected in the Portfolio Editor after the last executed command. But the investment field is always the last used. And this is OK, this helps to process sequentially the refreshing.

On the opposite, the values of the "Source Investment" (1 and 2) fields are always reset. The sub-portfolio fields are always reset to the currently selected sub-portfolio, and the investment fields are always reset to the topmost investment in the dropdown list.

If the fields of "Source Investment 1" and "Source Investment 2" could behave like "Destination Investment", it would be much more efficient for me to refresh all my calculated investments.

Anyway, this is really personal matters, not a big deal, if this could be change easily I am of course interested, but I can live well without :)
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:38 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I haven't had a chance to look into this in detail yet, but will post back here with more details once I do.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:52 am

Hi Mark,

No problem. I imagine you must have lot of work and requests to sort out. Prioritize as you want!
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:14 am

Hi,

Because of my poor english, my post above is probably difficult to understand, so I try another way to explain things.

Goal : speed up things when command Create investment from Investments is executed multiple times.
When a large list of calculated investments has to be manually updated, the process is faster when the dropdown lists are pre-filled with the values selected at the last execution.

Current behavior (based on my testing):
----------------------------------------
In "Destination investment" :
- Dropdown list "Sub-Portfolio" : pre-filled with the value selected at the last execution (unless another sub-portfolio has been selected in the Portfolio Editor after the last execution. In this case, the pre-filled value becomes the top portfolio)
- Dropdown list "Investment" : pre-filled with the value selected at the last execution

In "Source investment" (same behavior for "Source investment 1" & "Source investment 2") :
- Dropdown list "Sub-Portfolio" : the pre-filled value is the selected sub-portfolio in the Portfolio Editor
- Dropdown list "Investment" : the pre-filled value is the topmost investment in the dropdown list.

Desired behavior
----------------
For the two fields "Sub-Portfolio" in Source Investment (1 & 2) : pre-filled with the value selected at the last execution (same behavior as Destination Investment Sub-portfolio field is OK).

For the two fields "Investment" in Source Investment (1 & 2) : pre-filled with the value selected at the last execution (instead of the topmost investment in the dropdown list).

Hope this is clearer.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're asking for. I apologize for the delay in looking into this. I do see that the source choices both default based off your current selection in the Portfolio Editor. The destination choices have logic to try and remember your last selection, and default to that. Although the change seems minor, there is probably more to it than would normally go into a minor/maintenance update. We do have on our list to look into automating these calculated investments as regular investments have their prices updated. Hopefully we can make that happen for a future major update.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 am

The Advance-Decline Line (AD Line) is a breadth indicator based on Net Advances, which is the number of advancing stocks less the number of declining stocks. Net Advances is positive when advances exceed declines and negative when declines exceed advances. The AD Line is a cumulative measure of Net Advances. (see : http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php? ... cline_indi)

AD Line is useful to mesure the participation in a bull or bear market. (see : http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-2 ... -alert-yes)

The data regarding advancing stocks and declining stocks can be downloaded quite easily (for free on Quandl here : https://www.quandl.com/data/URC-Unicorn ... ce-Decline), but the AD line in itself has to be computed.

With the "Create Investment from Investments" command it is currently possible to create a calculated investment for which prices are the net advances (the number of advancing stocks less the number of declining stocks). To compute the AD-line, it lacks the ability to compute the cumulative net advances.

More broadly, markets breadth indicators are useful for markets analysis. Here's a site which deals with breadth indicators : http://www.indexindicators.com/ Raw data can often be downloaded but have to be computed.

So, this is a suggestion in this topic to increase the features of Fund Manager regarding the capabilities to compute investments prices.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for sharing some of the motivations. I do agree this would be a good enhancement, and we plan to look into it.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Mark wrote:We do have on our list to look into automating these calculated investments as regular investments have their prices updated. Hopefully we can make that happen for a future major update.

Mark,

I'm sorry, really, to nag here, but is there a good chance that the automatic update of calculated investments (relative strengths) will be in the next major update, even in a "basic" implementation? (and even if I know this kind of implementation can never be "basic")
I would appreciate a hint, just to make more peaceful the waiting time. Besides the weekly manual update of hundred of relative strength investments (tedious, but it can be done), the daily update of theses relative strengths would bring a huge improvement to my returns, but this can't be done manually. Relative strengths graphs are invaluable to analyze the markets.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I understand your concern. Unfortunately I cannot make any commitments to what will or won't make it into the next version. I can tell you that we plan to take a look at this. I can't say what will actually get implemented though. We are working on the next major update, but this particular feature hasn't been addressed or looked into yet. The next major update is still a ways off. I expect late 2017... I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but promising features before they get implemented is not something we've ever done.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Okay Mark, I understand. At least, I would have done the maximum on my side to express this need, so I will have no regret whatever it will be. :)
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Just additional thoughts :!: An idea about implementation for calculated investments that I share here.

A simple command "New calculated investment" to create a new calculated investment in the Portfolio Editor.

In the properties of a calculated investment, a limited set of fields, mainly theses fields to fill:

- Name of the investment
- source investment 1 (sub portfolio + investment)
- operator
- source investment 2 (sub portfolio + investment)
And OK / Cancel buttons

So source investments and operator could be changed directly in the properties of a calculated investment without the need to recreate another one. This would be handy to change one or both of the source investments on the fly. For example: a relative strength Apple / Nasdaq that can be changed easily for Apple / S&P 500 just by editing its properties.

When clicking OK button (validation of change in the properties), the prices would be (re)calculated. With the retrieve prices command, the prices would be recalculated/updated.

A calculated investment would have a different color / icon in the Portfolio Editor.

Concerning currencies (exchange rate), the Exchange Rate Adjusted command would be functional, allowing live recalculation with or without the change effect.

Again, this is just a raw idea. In bold, the things that seem powerful to me (besides auto update of prices), as I use intensively relative strengths in multiple currencies.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Okay, thank you for the ideas/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:37 am

Some last thoughts:

Djobydjoba wrote:A simple command "New calculated investment" to create a new calculated investment in the Portfolio Editor.

In the properties of a calculated investment, a limited set of fields

I think I've complicated things here. Probably better and simpler: a calculated investment could (should?) be like any other investment (and it's already the case!), with all the usual tabs and fields in its properties, but with the difference that the Internet Retrieve tab (or related controls) can be superseded (or desactivated) for a tab (controls) to set the calculation (source investments and operator).

So, all the standard properties still available in a calculated investment : Symbol, Type, allocation to categories, custom fields, etc... and the ability to make transactions with it (unlikely, but why not?).

Ok, I think I'm done now.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Yes, I see them being regular investments too. We just need some mechanism to remember a set of auto-updates to perform whenever prices are updated.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback