Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Add percentage to graphs

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Ivan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Mark,

I notice that the Price + Distributions graph has values on the left vertical axis and percentage on the right. The percentage is a nice touch and it would seem to be appropriate on several other graphs as well. Share Price, Portfolio value, and Gain (both individual investment and portfolio) come to mind as likely candidates. Would this be a practical enhancement?

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Ivan,

Yes, this is something that has been on the "to-do" list for quite a while, but never quite made it into an update. I do think it would be a good improvement...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat May 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi,

I think that a tool (a ruler) to measure the change in % between two dates in a graph would be more versatile than an percentage axis. With a percentage axis we have to adjust the start date of the graph to have a meaningful percentage in the axis between the start date and the target date (the start date is 0%). This is not very convenient when we want to do several measurements. With a ruler we could do any measurements easily from and to any date without change to the date range of the graph.

I've just discovered that the yield is calculated when a trendline is drawn. So why not add the % change for the trendlines ? Or, more handily, a dedicated tool "ruler", for example a new shortcut for the ruler (Ctrl+Alt+draw ?), which works like a trendline but perhaps with some refinements :

- some guide lines horizontally / vertically to help the measurement
- disappear when the button is released (not saved, only for live measurements)
- change in % in the status bar, or better directly next to mouse cursor when the ruler is activated.

Just some thoughts..
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat May 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I like that idea. It does seem like it would be a flexible solution to see percentages. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:25 am

Hi Mark,

I pull up the request above, A "ruler" would be very useful to do measurments in graphs: between two free points, measure the change in %, the difference in value, the yield, the number of days between the two points...

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the idea, I can see that being helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:55 pm

Mark,

Another bump on this "ruler" tool, that would be very useful to measure the distance in % between two points on graphs (and with the distance in days between the two points). And maybe other interesting figures could be displayed too depending on the graph type.

Almost all charting programs implement this basic tool. It is for example useful to measure the % risk (to the stop loss level) and the % expected reward (to the take profit level). Currently, without this tool, you have to do the calculation by hand.

Here is an example of this tool in the MetaTrader program. It is activated (in this program when the crosshair is selected) just by holding down the left mouse button and moving, and it disappears when the left button is released.

https://i.ibb.co/jJstcrY/MT5-Ruler.gif

Why not something like Alt+holding down the left mouse button and moving to make appear a ruler in FM...

Thanks!
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:01 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Understood, and agree this is valuable to add. Thanks for the feedback. We have almost this functionality now in the drawing of trendlines, although it would need to be more like a ruler. If you hold down Ctrl + Shift while left mouse clicking you can see the start/end dates and values and a yield. It doesn't currently show a % between them.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback