Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Federal Government Thrift Savings Program (TSP) issue.

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby Takecareman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:58 pm

FundManager Gurus,
I currently work for the federal government and I am enrolled in TSP which is the government employee 401K program. The trouble I have is I can't get FM to match up($value) with the TSP website (www.tsp.gov) when I manually enter the market prices and my #'s of shares.

My questions are:
1) What should I use for each of the funds symbols if the shares don't give dividends rather they just increase in value without any transactions going on?
2) What can I do to increase the speed and accuracy of inputting information into FM without having to manually type in all of the transactions, and daily prices.
3) Is there a price server or a way to take the share price and upload it to FM from the TSP Share Price page (http://www.tsp.gov/rates/share-prices.html).
4) I'm trying to get the information from TSP website but the functionality of FM but I don't know how to keep the information accurate and timely without doing it manually.

Any help would be appreciated,

Takecareman
gyhart@yahoo.com
Takecareman

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Hello,

To reconcile your account, make sure the share balance matches. The share balance is simply the sum of all prior transactions to a given date. Once you have the share balance right, everything else should fall into place. The value is simply the closing price times the shares owned. You might want to use a "Portfolio Value" report for the same date as a TSP statement, so you can compare all the share balances. If any are wrong, edit that investment in the Data Register under the "Investments (all)" data type to see what transactions are missing/wrong. You can then edit them here.

1) The only real purpose to the symbol is for retrieving prices. If your investments are not quoted on any of our quote servers, turn off the option to retrieve prices for this investment under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve". If you are not retrieving prices for an investment, it doesn't matter what symbol you enter for it.

2) What step are you doing that seems slow? If you are manually entering your transactions, use the Data Register.

3) The data from that page won't import real easily into Fund Manager. With some effort you could probably create a spreadsheet to map those prices into a format that could be imported. If you're good with Excel, read about the importing capabilities with "File / Import / Prices / Generic...".

4) In your case your transactions aren't with a broker that has an OFX server, so you are stuck manually entering, unless they offer some sort of electronic download of your transactions. Also, if the investments are listed on any of our standard quote servers you'll need to manually enter your pricing. You don't have to do this every day, only for days when you'd like to see a current valuation.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback