Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Exiting FM9b2 on Vista causes error message

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby k_kirk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Autobackup option causes the following. Possibly to do with running as Admin etc.

Click exit
Asks Really Exit, answer Yes.
Says Access Denied with only option to click OK.
When I move the Access Denied message away a little I see in the background FM says : Auto Backup in Progress %1
Click Ok , FM says RegCreateKeyEx Failed with only option to click OK.
Click Ok and application exits to desktop.
k_kirk

Postby k_kirk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Ok. Confirmed that simply taking File / Backup option also ends in the same message.

I then changed my FM shortcut to run application as Admin. When running like this the error went away. I can both exit and trigger autobackup or run a manual backup.
k_kirk

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi KK,

Where is your auto-backup being saved? See "Options / General Preferences... / Data". I suspect it is somewhere underneath "C:\Program Files". Under Vista, you can no longer write in this path as a regular user, when UAC is on. Fund Manager's new default for this location is under the "My Documents / Fund Manager / autoback" folder, but if you've been using Fund Manager for a while, you may still have the old default, under Program Files. Try changing this to a folder where you have write access, like the one above, and see if that doesn't allow you to do the auto-backup okay as a regular user.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby k_kirk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Interesting. My backup location was indeed C:\Users\KK\Documents\Fund Manager\autoback so I'm not sure what caused this issue.
k_kirk

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi k_kirk,

I now see this problem too... The backup/restore functionality is currently using a function of windows that requires 'backup' permissions. It appears that a regular user under Vista doesn't have such permissions. I'll have to figure out another solution.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback