Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio rebalance by security

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby neri » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 am

Mark-

It would be nice to add a feature to this report that allows a user to rebalance a portfolio by security. Currently, it only appears that you can rebalance by asset class. Is this something that can be added to FM?
Thanks.
neri

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:06 am

Hi neri,

Thanks for the idea. How would you like to be able to specify the targets? I can envision either a dialog where you enter symbols and share quantities, or maybe symbols and percentages of portfolio. Another option would be allow you to specify a target sub-portfolio as your model. If you select a target sub-portfolio it could balance by percentages. For example, if the target sub-portfolio has 10% INTC, the rebalancing sub-portfolio would be adjusted to have 10% INTC. A list of transactions necessary to make these adjustments could be shown in report format, and maybe there could be an option to ignore anything below a certain percentage, like < 1% would not be shown. You could adjust this percentage. Would a report like this satisfy your needs?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby neri » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 am

Mark-

I think so. For my purposes, I would use percentages.
So, for example, if large cap contained 4 mutual funds and the total was 40%, the sub portfolio could have funds a, b, c and d at 10% each.

I also like the idea of having a tolerance of x% before a change occurs.

I would absolutely love to have a report like this. It would go hand and hand with the asset allocation report. Speaking of which, is there any way to have the asset classes on this report displayed at the top of each class, rather than at the bottom

Thanks again for your responsiveness, Mark
neri

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:53 am

Hi neri,

Okay, thanks, I suspect we'll look into this. I think we could extend the capabilities of the existing "Rebalance" report to support this.

Are you looking at the built-in "Asset Allocation" report? This report lists the asset types along the left, one per row. Maybe you are referring to some other report?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby neri » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:01 am

Mark-

I was trying to get the built in asset allocation report to subtotal by security, but it doesn't seem to be an option. So I built a custom report. It gave me what I wanted, but the asset classe names were listed at the bottom of each sub total. Can the existing built in asset allocation report with asset classes listed on the left sub total by security? That would be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks.
neri

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 am

Hi neri,

The Asset Allocation report can only sub-total by sub-portfolio. In a Custom report you can sub-total by Asset Type, and list by investment. Sub-totals are always on the bottom of a section in Fund Manager reports.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby michael » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Mark,

I was going to call you about target allocations by security, but then I saw this post. Paul would like this feature as well.

Also, is there anyway it can be accessible as a custom report too so we can add additional columns onto the report if we wanted?

Thanks,

Michael
michael

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback. I do expect this capability to be added into the next major update. I envision you being able to run a Rebalance Report where you choose a "Model Portfolio" for your allocation target. The Rebalance report would then be listed by symbol. The necessary trades to rebalance the portfolio would also be available for export. I don't expect to see this added to the Custom report, but just the Rebalance report.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am

This is the only action that I have to currently do externally in Excel. Adding this to the product would be outstanding!

Mark wrote:Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback. I do expect this capability to be added into the next major update. I envision you being able to run a Rebalance Report where you choose a "Model Portfolio" for your allocation target. The Rebalance report would then be listed by symbol. The necessary trades to rebalance the portfolio would also be available for export. I don't expect to see this added to the Custom report, but just the Rebalance report.
stevetone

Postby osinv » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:03 am

Hi Mark, an easier question or suggestion related to this: Is there a way to add currently an 'Actual Value' and 'Target Value' columns to the Rebalance Report (Now we only have Actual % and Target % but not the Values

Thanks,

Oscar
osinv

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 am

Hi Oscar,

This isn't currently available as an option in the Rebalance report. We can consider adding it though.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Feedback