Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Control of "Create New Investments as Needed"

Comments, critical feedback, praise, or suggestions for new features.

Postby DukeWeston » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:35 am

[FM 2024 Personal]

I'd like to use the Retrieve Transactions action at the top level, but would prefer more granular control over the option for Create New Investments as Needed.

I have subportfolios where I do not want a transaction to create an investment because it is already in a sibling subportfolio in the same brokerage account. For example subportfolio A contains mutual funds and subportfolio B has TIPS.

(The reason for this I discussed in an earlier suggestion thread for "Smart" portfolios).

If I use the Create New ... option, then for every transaction in Subport A, FM also offers to create a new investment in the subport B.

I don't really know the best way to deal with this. One suggestion would be to have a portfolio setting for Do not create allow automatic creation of investments. This would override the global setting in the retrieve dialog.

A less convenient workaround that I sometimes use is to retrieve transactions portfolio by portfolio, setting the Create New option appropriately. (i.e. Yes for the mutual funds portfolio, no for the TIPS portfolio.)

Do you have any suggestions to improve this workflow?
DukeWeston

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:58 am

Hi DukeWeston,

If you have a subportfolio structure like this:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - All Accounts
    - Account X
      - Account X TIPS
      - Account X Mutual Funds

If you retrieve at the "Account X" level, any investments in either of your TIPS or Mutual Funds will prevent investment creation. New investments will be placed at the "Account X" level, and you could then move them if desired. It sounds like maybe you are retrieving at the TIPS/Mutual Funds level?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby DukeWeston » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:38 pm

Yes, Mark, that portfolio diagram is correct, and yes I have the Retrieve flag set for the two children TIPS and Mutual Funds, while disabled for their parent.

I'll try your suggestion of setting the retrieve flag for the parent, and disabling it for the children.
DukeWeston

Postby DukeWeston » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 am

Yes, this seems to work better, thanks.
DukeWeston

Return to Feedback