Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Delete incorrect Price Data - Error Message

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby WhiteFox » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:04 am

Hi,

What am I missing here? I am in the Data Register window looking at the multiple lines of Price data for one newly created investment. The same investment symbol appears in another sub-portfolio. One of the lines is in error. I highlight the incorrect line and select Delete. An error message appears telling me that I must have a closing price on that transaction first. But, the line does have a closing price, which I can change in the popup window, but still get the same error message - "I must have a closing price". All other fields are inacessable (greyed out).

Thanks!
WF
Last edited by WhiteFox on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteFox

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:09 am

Hi WF,

Can you tell me the exact error message? I'm not sure which one you're getting. I'm guessing though that you may be running into the restriction that you must have a closing price recorded on dates of a transaction. You can edit the price, but cannot delete a closing price if you have a transaction recorded on that date. Also, I assume you are in the "Data Register", and looking at the "Prices" data type?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby WhiteFox » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi,
I should be more specific. I am in the Data Register. I sold a stock on 6/17/2009, and mistakenly entered the wrong selling price in "transactions". 2 price lines then appear: one for each of the 2 transactions. I then tried to delete the incorrect price line. The error message was:

"You must have a closing price recorded on the date of an investment (buy or sell). You may edit the price instead." Both transactions did have closing prices; but the sell price was incorrect.

Thereafter, I could not delete the incorrectly entered price line, even if I deleted the transaction and re-entered it. I finally had to delete the investment from the sub-portfolio and start again with a "New investment". Now things seem to be working OK.

A related question if you don't mind. In the main master portfolio view, the sold investment shares now correctly appear as 0. However the Average Basis column indicates "NA". Wouldn't you want to keep that information in this view for quick reference on a sold investment?

Secondly and observation: the "edit" popup windows make it difficult to change the date. I see you can move from month to day to year using the right arrow key, but actually entering the new date takes quite a bit of extra time. Using TAB to move through the 3 date fields would speed things up.

Thanks again,
WF
WhiteFox

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi WF,

Thanks for the info, I think I see what was happening. It sounds like you were under the "Data Type" of "Prices". This is showing your recorded closing prices for this investment. Closing prices are independent of transaction prices. To edit the sell transaction, change the "Data Type" to "Investments (all)". You will then see your transactions, which you can highlight and then press "Edit..." to change the selling price for the transaction. When you are in the "Prices" data type you are only working with recorded closing prices, not your transactions.

The 'Average Basis' column in the Portfolio Editor is displaying your average cost basis for the shares owned currently. Since you don't own any shares currently, the basis is N/A. You can look at the basis and gain/loss of these shares by creating a Capital Gains report.

All of the date controls in Fund Manager use Window's standard date control. You can enter the date using the keyboard (you're right it is faster with the keyboard...). To move from day to month, press the "/" key on your keyboard. The "/" key works similar to the tab key, except it moves focus among the day, month, and year sections of this control.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions