Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Asset Type Category Labels

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby paulstonge » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:42 am

These labels are limited to 20 characters. Are you considering increasing the number of characters? For example, I would like to use International Equities, but am forced to abbreviate.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:11 am

Hi paulstonge,

Thanks for the feedback, we can consider this for a future update. It isn't something we've looked at before. More commonly we get requests to increase the number of categories themselves.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 am

Yes the better approach would be to expand or add flexibility to the investement type in the general tab for investement properties.

I was able to work around the 20 character limit on Asset Type by using the registry.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 am

Hi paulstonge,

paulstonge wrote:I was able to work around the 20 character limit on Asset Type by using the registry.

I would not recommend doing this. It is possible this could cause buffer overflow and crashing.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:33 am

I have made a number of entries directly in the registry, such as report titles, dates and portfolio names. Will this also possibly cause buffer overflow and crashing?
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:49 am

Hi paulstonge,

It depends... In general, this is not a recommended practice. Many buffers and string lengths have a maximum size, that are enforced through the user interface only allowing you to enter a certain amount. If you bypass this, it is possible you could run into problems. It may be possible that many of your edits via the registry are just fine, but this isn't a method we support, and in general is risky. If you find yourself doing this because of some limitations within the interface, please continue to give us this feedback, but I'd discourage you from working around these limitations using this method.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions