Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Importing with Generic and Exporting and Importing using QIF

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby paulstonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:09 pm

I import data using the generic format. Later I export the same data using the QIF format. When I re-import that QIF file the REINV transactions want to import even though they are already in the data.

Initially importing using QIF and subesequently exporting and importing using QIF does not have this problem.

It looks like one must import and export with QIF and avoid using generic (since their is no generic export option) if one wants to export to a data file and later re-import that data.

Am I missing something?
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi paulstonge,

It should be okay to use any combination of import/export sources. The important thing is that in order to 'skip duplicate transactions' you must make sure the share balances are exactly the same (through 6 significant digits) in the importing file, and in Fund Manager. If you're still having this trouble please send me an example QIF file along with the associated Fund Manager investment file (*.DAT) where the duplicate is being incorrectly imported. I can take a look and provide some more specifics on your case.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:05 pm

I will email them to you.
paulstonge

Postby paulstonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Looking at this further, even though the # shares is exactly the same in the generic and QIF files, when I look the shares in the FM edit window I see that the entry does not have three trailing zeros that are in both files. When I manually add the three trailing zeros in the FM edit window the duplicate import goes away.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi paulstonge,

Thanks for the sample file, that helped. The problem is that FM is comparing not only shares, but also value. When you imported from the generic file, you are only importing price and shares, so the value is calculated by multiplying these. When you export/import through QIF the value gets truncated to 2 significant digits. Unfortunately, Fund Manager is currently requiring that the value also match all the way out to 6 significant digits in order to be considered a duplicate transaction. This was not the intention, and will be fixed for the next release, so that value only compares out through 2 significant digits. I can offer a work-around, or if it is a big problem, send me another email and I can get you a build with this problem fixed. The work-around, is to edit your transactions, so you touch the value and shares, and let the price get adjusted. It sounds like this is essentially what you did to get it working.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 pm

A new build will be the best solution. Is that feasible or should I focus on trying to make the work-around handle it?
paulstonge

Postby paulstonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:54 pm

In looking at this I don't think the work around you mention can be accomplished with the generic download, but only manually, because when there are shares invloved the generic download can enter only price and shares and the value is computed by FM.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi paulstonge,

Yes, the workaround I was describing involves manually editing the transactions after the generic import. If this is a process you do a lot, and need a fix, please email us.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Yes a fix would be very much appreciated.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi paulstonge,

I've just emailed you a version where this issue has been fixed. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with it. This same fix will be included in the next official release.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks for the fix. Seems to be working fine.

As you know the QIF import/export does not include as many fields as the Generic import and there is no Generic Export option. The Generic export option with the same fields available as the Generic import option would be very helpful. Is that being developed?

Thanks for your help.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:09 am

Hi paulstonge,

Thanks for the feedback, I agree that would be a good addition. It isn't something we've implemented yet, but will consider.

I'm curious why you are going through what seems like multiple imports for the same accounts/transactions?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulstonge » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:40 am

I am using exporting because as far as I can tell it is not possible to restore one subportfolio from within the backed up portfolio to the portfolio tree. For example, if I want to work on one subportfolio on my laptop and later after I have modified it, I want to place it back in the portfolio tree I must first export it and later re-import the modified subportfolio.
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi paulstonge,

I see... You are using this to really merge any changes you've made.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions