Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Import Option - Skip Transactions Already in Fund Manager

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby paulstonge » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:30 am

I exported existing data to a QIF file. When importing this QIF file I select the option to skip transactions already in FM. When importing some transactions that are already in are also designated to be imported. When I drill down on this I see the reason is the number of digits after the decimal when I go to the Edit Screen in the FM inv file entry is 6 (even though it shows as 3 on the data view screen and the options for this is set to 3 in the options dialog) and the import file has 3 digits after the decimal.

What is the work-around for this?
paulstonge

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:42 am

Hi paulstonge,

A couple background items:

1) The QIF export will export your shares up to 6 significant digits if they are in your data. If you have only 3 for a particular transaction, then it will only export 3 for that transaction.

2) The preference on how many significant digits to display does not affect how many are actually recorded. It only affects the display. Share quantities are always recorded with maximum resolution.

When you edit your transaction, you will see all of the recorded significant digits. I suspect the problem is due to rounding issues. When FM determines 'identical' transactions for filtering out, it compares the shares from the import to the existing transaction. If the absolute value of the difference is less than 0.0000005 then it considers them a match. Notice the 5 in that number is in the 7th significant digit spot.

To answer your question, the way to fix this is to correct your recorded transaction, so it doesn't have shares past the 6th significant digit. Please see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... rrors.html

If this doesn't resolve the problem, please let me know. Some specifics on the particular transaction share quantities in FM and in the QIF would be helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions