Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fidelity retrieve transactions duplicated

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby MartyP » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:42 pm

While retrieving dividend reinvestment transactions on 2-6-24 from my Fidelity accounts I noticed the dividend reinvestment transactions from 2-1-2022 forward were duplicated.
Prior to 2024 the retrieved transaction were a single line entry in FM that looked like the following (apologies that my headings don't align to the amounts):
Example 1
Date Price Shares Total Fee Type Memo
10/31/23 8.889 27.214 241.93 0.00 Dividend Reinvestment Dividend Received; Rinvestment

Starting with January 2024 transactions, the downloaded dividend reinvestments in FM looked like Example 2 that follows:
Example 2
Date Price Shares Total Fee Type Memo
1/31/24 9.560 25.078 239.75 0.00 Purchase Reinvestment
1/31/24 239.75 Dividend Dividend Received

And most frustratingly, for previously retrieved transactions, each entry that used to look like example 1, now has an additional entry that looks like example 2 which creates a double entry for previously retrieved transactions and so the transaction has 3 lines.

In the Cash register for example 1, there was a 2 line entry showing the dividend distribution (a positive amount) and another line showing the purchase of more shares (a negative amount)

In the Cash register for example 2, there is now a single line entry listed as a purchase (a positive number).

Its seems to me that 1) that Fidelity has changed the way transactions are retrieved; and 2) I have hundreds and hundreds of transactions in which transactions that are in the format of example 1 will have to be deleted.

My retrieval settings have always been to download all transactions and skip those already downloaded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Marty
MartyP

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:55 pm

Hi Marty,

Do you have on the option:

Retrieve Transactions / Import Options: / Advanced Options... / Record Matching Purchase/Distribution as Reinvestment

? It kind of sounds like it used to be on, so everything was getting recorded as a single reinvestment, and now it is off, so you're getting separate distribution/purchase transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MartyP » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:18 pm

Your analysis is correct; none of the 4 boxes in Advanced Options are checked. (Big thank you!)
I did not knowingly uncheck them but I would like to have some confidence that returning to the defaults will not affect transactions prior to January 2024. It certainly seems like I should be using the defaults and may very well have all along until January 2024. Is there a way you can determine from a log file when the Advanced Options boxes became unchecked? Any help from a log file?

PS: I used Restore to return to a point in time before the duplicate transactions began showing up.

Thank you.
Marty
MartyP

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm

Hi Marty,

Glad that was the problem. Changing those options does not affect any currently recorded transactions, it only affects new transactions you retrieve. Sorry, no, there is no log file that would show when/how those options changed.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MartyP » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:50 pm

As always, thank you Mark.
MartyP

Return to Prices and Transactions