Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Dividend Input Glitch

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby joesk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:54 am

I recently erred when I set up a new stock holding, I recorded it as No Load Mutual Fund rather than a stock. When I proceeded to input my first dividend I noticed that I was not given the option to enter ex date as well as the received date. I proceeded to change the type to stock, saved the holding and tried to input the dividend. Still no ex date was presented. So changing the investment type in the properties had no effect on the dividend entry. Is the fix to start a new investment with the proper type or is there another work around.
That said I would note that I've often wondered why the x date was an entry requirement for entering dividends as it should not affect the return calculations. Is there something I'm missing that necessitates the ex date? Just wondering.
joesk

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:30 am

Hi joesk,

The option you're looking for is at:

Investment Properties... / Other / Transaction Entry Preference

and set it to "Commission Fees". This option defaults based on the investment type when you create the investment.

As far as the purpose of entering the ex date, it is used when FM calculates the distribution/share, for things like plotting "Price + Distributions".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions