Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Empower 401k OFX

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby B2B_Investing » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:06 am

Hi Mark,

Happy New Year! I am going to bump the thread since the most recent post was more than three years ago. Does Empower (http://www.empower.com) provided the the necessary OFX interface for you to connect with now?

Browsing through a quicken chat board it looks like that may have started supporting it since the last post but may have had an issue last January.

https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... n-download

I know at least I would appreciate it if you could check since they are a decent sized 401k provider. Our plan cut over and I would prefer to not return to manual data entry--that's one of the strengths of FM.

As always, thanks for a great product.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:47 am

Hi Jason,

I am not aware of an OFX server for them. If you have an account with them, you might contact them, and ask if they have the ability to download your 401K account into Quicken. If so, what are their instructions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:08 am

Thanks Mark

So it is unclear if they have an OFX server but when I log in I can retrieve a QUICKEN QFX file and import it. That is a workable solution.

What is odd is the tickers are sometimes standard:

FRCSX is the Franklin Small Cap Value R6 fund

and sometimes not

S9206D for Vanguard Mid Cap Index Admiral

Knowing that is not a valid ticket, when I look up the Vanguard fund in the sites literate, it provides the proper ticker VIMAX

I swapped VIMAX for S9206D in the investments ticket and retrieved prices. When I add that to the investment properties in the fund in FM and retrieve prices from Yahoo, They are off. $216.20 on Empower vs. 284.13 on Yahoo.

I looked at MassMutual Overseas I and the same thing. S5957F instead of MOSZX. When I updated that and retrieved prices it was worse: $212.31 on Empower vs. 8.55 on Yahoo.

When I looked deeper, the Franklin Fund had what I would consider a valid CUSIP while the vanguard fund used S9206D, the same as the ticker I replaced. Same thing with the MassMutual fund.

Any ideas on how to get FM and Empower to balance and have commiserate prices? this one is puzzling but I cannot be the first one trying to resolve this.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:09 am

Hi Jason,

Which prices are "correct", compared to your broker's statements? I'm not sure why Empower's QFX files have a different symbol. Maybe someone at Empower could answer why they're using non-standard symbols. Maybe the funds are somehow slightly different?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions