Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fidelity (Netbenefits) transaction retrieve not working

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby fmuser » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:30 am

I just discovered that FM "Retrieve transactions..." doesn't add transactions from a 401k account managed by Fidelity (NetBenefits support). I've used the support without problems for many years (across several FM versions), but I see that I'm now missing transactions for the last two months (July and August 2023).

The parsed "Transaction Retrieve" log appears to show the missing transactions, but "Retrieve transactions..." processing in FM never presents me with a list of those transactions to add to FM investment files.

FM Personal version 22.17.7.9
Quote Module: 586
Transaction Module: 261

Any ideas?
fmuser

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:34 am

Hi fmuser,

Maybe you've already retrieved these transactions? If you temporarily retrieve with the option turned off: "Skip Transactions Already in Fund Manager", do you see them in the "Preview" list? Make sure to "Cancel" the retrieve if you do, so you don't duplicate these transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fmuser » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:57 am

The transactions are not (already) in my FM investment file.

Turning off "Skip Transactions Already in Fund Manager" does not cause FM to show me the transactions in the "Preview" list.

FWIW, this line from the parsed log shows the current date, so it appears FM is successfully communicating with the Fidelity OFX server (vs stale info in the log):
DTSERVER (20230904094147.367[-4:EDT])
fmuser

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:52 am

Hi fmuser,

Are these transactions you see in the log file, listed as "banking transactions"? Do you have on the sub-portfolio option under "Properties... / Transaction Retrieve... / Advanced... / Import Investment Banking Transactions into Default Cash Account"? Do you have a default cash account assigned for this sub-portfolio?

If the above doesn't help resolve this issue, please either email me the raw transaction retrieve log file, along with specifics of which transaction(s) aren't being imported, or give me a call at 480-705-0129 and we can do a quick web meeting to look at it.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby fmuser » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:10 am

Problem resolved.

I normally do NOT set the option to create new FM investments for transaction retrieve, but I tried turning it on (thinking perhaps the matching of OFX transactions against FM investments was failing). Sure enough, the Preview screen showed me all the transactions as new investments.

The missing investments are for funds that aren't listed on public public quote servers (like Yahoo), but are assigned "unique-ifiers" by Fidelity. The transaction log shows extra/prefix information in the UNIQUEID field for UNIQUETYPE CUSIP that isn't in the FM investment properties I've used for years. For example, an investment I knew/used as CUSPID OJFC shows up in the latest transaction log as CUSPID NON40OJFC.

I"m not sure if Fidelity changed what their server provides, or if FM "matching" rules for investment transactions changed, but I'm able to retrieve the missing transactions by updating CUSPID values in my FM investment attributes.

Thanks for the help

P.S. Maybe you might consider adding a warning/message from FM when transactions are retrieved that don't match any existing FM investment if the user has not selected the option to create new investment files. I'm thinking of leaving on the option to create new investments (and turning off the option to create them automatically, so I can cancel out before new files are created)
fmuser

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:18 am

Hi fmuser,

Glad you figured it out, and thanks for the feedback. The defaults are to automatically create new investments, and I find it best to leave this option on. In the "Preview" dialog there is a column for "New Investment" so you can see if something is about to be created new.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions