Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Manual Distribution Update for Fund That has Been Sold

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Septaj » Mon May 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks for an amazing program. I hope your business goes well for you.

Problem: When trying to manually enter a fund distribution on a fund that has never been owned, FM provides a dialog box where the distribution in units per share is entered.

Trying to do the same on a fund that I owned but sold *completely* does not seem to result in the same required prompt. I think it *might* be that FM still has me owning a tiny fraction of a share even though I did my best record a sale of ALL shares.

Is there a way to get FM to know that a user has NO shares? Or is the lack of a dialog box here due to some other problem.

Thanks again.
Septaj

Postby Mark » Wed May 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi Septaj,

Thanks for the nice comments. I think you are right, that FM probably still thinks you own some small number of shares. Try turning up the share digits under "Options / General Preferences... / Display" to 6. Then, open the Data Register, and in the "Prices" data type, see how many shares it has you owning. You can edit any buy/sell transactions to correct this down to zero. For some tips on recording transactions without rounding errors, please read:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... rrors.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Septaj » Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Mark,

Partial success:

Did as you advised, got the shares owned down to 0 to 6 decimals without difficulty. Upon entering the new distribution did, now, receive the dialog box to enter Dist/Share but ...

... upon entering this value the column in the Data Register Dist/Shr shows "0" rather than the value entered.

Thanks & regards.
Septaj

Postby Mark » Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 am

Hi Septaj,

What version of Fund Manager are you using? If you're experiencing this with version 9.5 could you email me this particular investment file? Please specify which distribution (the date) is in question. To get our contact email, just go here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/email.html

and fill out any simple message. When you submit you'll see a regular email address you can use to send an attachment. I'll just need the *.dat investment file in question.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Septaj » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 am

Using FM 7.8 Personal. Have been out of the markets for a period and having now to update my data before ploughing back into it ...

Thanks for your help.
Septaj

Postby Mark » Thu May 14, 2009 10:36 am

Hi Septaj,

I suspect we may have fixed this rounding issue in later versions. Please see if it doesn't work correctly in version 9.5. Make sure to not save your data in version 9.5, as you then won't be able to open it again in 7.x. If you can reproduce this problem in version 9.5 please send me the investment file and distribution specifics, and I'll take a look.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions