Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

A way to create multiple investments - but some problems

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby swisspm » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:47 am

Hello Mark,

It seems that a way to create a number of new investments simultaneously (at least the basic data) would be to use the function: File / Import / Transactions / Generic, etc. However, I am having a problem importing data from ITYPE, ASSET, GOAL and SECTOR, and would appreciate your advice.

I have been using this format string:
SYMB,TRAN,DD,MM,YY,ANUM,BNUM,CNUM,MEMO,CURRENCY,ITYPE,NAME

I was able to import the correct values from the CSV file, except for value for ITYPE. Then I replaced ITYPE with ASSET, then GOAL and then SECTOR, and I have not been able to import any values for any of these. There were no error messages.

As background:
- There are no blanks in the format string or the values being imported in the CSV file.

- In Fund Manager, I have previously edited and customized the values under ITYPE etc. These lists are not in alphabetical order and I have set some of the values as blanks to create separators between the rows.

- For importing CURRENCY: £ and $ are not picked up from the CSV file when I try the above import, but letter combinations such as AUD, CHF do work. In the currency list in Fund Manager, I happen to have a blank row above AUD, but it is still picked up in the import process, so blank rows do not seem to be a problem.

I would be grateful to receive your comments or insights.
Last edited by swisspm on Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
swisspm

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:00 am

Hi swisspm,

Could you send me an example CSV file, so I can see it? You can either post it, send it to me via PM, or email it to me. I'll send you an email, so you can respond to that.

It shouldn't matter the order of your investment types, blank names, or that you've changed the names. You do want to use the changed names (not the original names) in your importing CSV file. The same goes for currency.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby swisspm » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:22 pm

SOLUTION: So, a feasible workaround to import many new investment simultaneously (bulk import) is as follows.

- While importing transactions is not really meant as a way to set up a large number of new funds, it works well as a starting point that saves considerable time.

Some important notes:

- in Fund Manager, import the transactions using: "File, Import, Transactions, Generic" (see instructions under the Fund Manager Online Help – search “Generic Transaction Import Dialog”)

- to populate the basic data, use an import string such as the following: NAME,SYMB,CURRENCY,ITYPE,ASSET,GOAL,SECTOR,TRAN,DD,MM,YY,ANUM,BNUM,CNUM,MEMO !REM standard format for new investment
(note that you must include a transaction, and this can be a generic transaction that can be deleted later, or an actual transaction that you want to keep)

- The above establishes the basic data in Fund Manager, and then you can manually add additional settings, import historical data, etc. You can quickly import a large number of investment and, using excel before the import, can be sure that all the basic data is correct and consistent.

- MOST IMPORTANT when you are using: "File, Import, Transactions, Generic" in Fund Manager: under "import options", be sure that both boxes are ticked, and also the boxes in the "Options" button are ticked. This is critically important as, otherwise, the import will not work and will lead to the problems mentioned above.
swisspm

Return to Prices and Transactions