Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM Unable To Import Historical Data

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:07 am

Hello,
I noticed that FM lately seems to have issues with importing historical data. Looking at the logs, it seems that it is pulling historical data successfully from the Yahoo Historical quote server but I see some kind of warning message in the log with not any real details as to why it was unable to use the data that was downloaded. Attached is a copy of the log (zipped).

Thank you!
Attachments
intlog_debug.zip
(79.51 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
John_Jacob_Smith

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:44 am

Hello John_Jacob_Smith,

From the log you can see FM makes multiple requests when you choose the options to retrieve Splits and/or Distributions with the Yahoo (Historical) server. It was able to retrieve everything available, but there were no "Capital Gains" for this stock, so there was a warning message about this. It would be more appropriate to call it an "informational" message, as there is nothing wrong, there is just no capital gain data for this stock, like there is sometimes for mutual funds. It did retrieve some splits, dividends, and prices, just not capital gains. If you search the log for "*** Returned Data" you can see it made several requests for each type of data. Everything appears to be working properly.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:14 am

When I right-click on the stock in Portfolio Editor and select "Technical Analysis", it doesn't show that stock's chart though. If I use page up and down to scroll through the stocks in that portfolio folder, it skips the stock altogether. Is there something else that I need to do for FM to be able to create a chart?

Thanks!
Last edited by John_Jacob_Smith on Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
John_Jacob_Smith

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:17 am

Hmm...I was able to get the stock graph to show up by clicking "Investments" and then selecting the stock from there. For some reason, right-clicking on the stock in Portfolio Editor and selecting Technical Analysis doesn't do anything. Is this a bug or expected behavior?
John_Jacob_Smith

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:22 am

One more interesting thing....It looks like this fixes the odd behavior and I can now display the graph by right-clicking on the stock and selecting "Technical Analysis". It seemed that before, this wasn't possible until I viewed the graph by using the Investments Menu first.
John_Jacob_Smith

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:58 am

Hi John_Jacob_Smith,

Are you still having a problem showing this investment in a graph? One thing to check is that you don't have this investment's type set to "Cash" with the option "Graphs / Options / Display... / Hide Cash Type Investments on Investment Based Graphs" turned on.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John_Jacob_Smith » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:28 am

It looks like that option is toggled off. It was a bit tricky to find the option as it only appears when the graph is selected as the active window as opposed to the Portfolio Editor. I did have the stock set to cash, which I believe was set by default. I changed the type to stock. I suspect that maybe it's some kind of bug or maybe a corrupted data file perhaps? Again, what's odd is that after I selected the stock from "Investments" on the menu bar, it permanently fixes the issue. I haven't tried to add a new stock since then so I don't know if this was just some one-off issue or what. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks!
John_Jacob_Smith

Return to Prices and Transactions