Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

ERROR: WSAE: 12017

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Mark,

I received the following error when trying to retrieve current and historical prices

ERROR: WSAE: 12017
Could not update any investments

Thoughts?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:06 pm

Hi Jason,

The text description of that error message is:

The operation was canceled, usually because the handle on which the request was operating was closed before the operation completed.

Is this something reproduceable? When did it start? What quote server are you using? If you restart your computer, does it persist?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:02 pm

Hi Mark,

Yes it is reproducable and yes it still occurs after a restart.

Running the pro version
Main Program: 2022.17.7
Quote Module: 583
Transaction Module: 260

It occurs when retrieving current prices (yahoo) and historical data (wsj). MY last successful price retrieve was Jun 16th which was near when I installed the most recent FM upgrade. (I am not sure if the retrieve worked after the upgrade or if that was the last retrieve before I upgraded) Is there a way to confirm when I installed the upgrade?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:14 pm

Hi Jason,

You can look in the "Add or Remove Programs" app in Window's Settings to see when you installed FM. Do you maybe have some antivirus or firewall type program that is blocking FM? This can sometimes happen when you install a new EXE. You might try temporarily turning off any such program, and see if this fixes it.

Also, if you use "Help / FM on the Web / Check for Updates..." does that work?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:27 am

Hi Mark,

Add/remove programs is showing when I installed FM 2022 originally not the most recent install which is a little odd. The firewall does not appear to be blocking communication as I look through the logs and the update check works. I can also retrieve transactions. Its just the price retrieve (current and historic) that is not working. I am going to try and uninstall and reinstall the program and see if that helps.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:39 am

I tried an uninstall and reinstall of the program and that did not correct the issue. Kinda stumped on this one Mark.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:15 pm

Hi Jason,

1) What quote server are you getting the error with? Do you get the same error if you switch to a different quote server?

2) Can you try to temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus just to confirm they aren't blocking? The 12017 usually means something is forcibly blocking the connection.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:42 am

Hi Mark,

Sorry I thought I put it in a previous message. I use Yahoo and WSJ for current and historic transactions. It appears the VPN was blocking the price retrieves while letting through the account transaction requests. It appears to be working now. What was odd is when the VPN blocks communications it is usually not that selective and it usually does not persist for that long.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to Prices and Transactions