Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

return of capital / split transaction

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby JeanneMarie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:52 am

So I have two brokerage houses feeding FM dividends that turn out to be returns of capital by the time the 1099-DIV comes around.

Changing the way these are characterized is a bit of a bother and a bit more of a bother in other cases. But it gets worse when many are actually partly dividend income and partly return of capital. Do I just have to convert each into two different transactions on the same date? Or does FM have some clever tool for dealing with these split transactions?

Thanks a bunch.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:41 am

Hi JeanneMarie,

FM doesn't have any special feature to slit a distribution into 2 different ones. You can use the Data Register and make a copy of the one by using "Ctrl + C" and "Ctrl + V" to copy/paste. Then you'll have 2 identical distributions, and you can modify them appropriately.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:53 am

Aha! I shoulda thought of that. If I'd once known I could copy/paste there, I'd forgotten.

I was delighted to see that FM does indeed adjust tax basis when it sees these distributions and really want to update them. In some cases there are just a couple of transactions a year and in others there are really a lot. So this will definitely help.

(Actually, I can also ignore some dates and consolidate transactions--altho I know that would not be an option for all of your users.)

Thanks again.

Little bit of feedback? Control+Z to undo things can be handy too. But really, I can definitely manage with this.
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:21 pm

Hi JeanneMarie,

Thanks for the feedback on an "undo" command...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions