Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Same investment different portfolios

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby spogoli » Wed May 06, 2009 9:05 am

I am trialing a version.
How to I insert and investment I have already created in one portfolio into another portfolio without starting from scatch ?
I have 5 different sub portfolios under the master portfolio. In some of them I hold same investments but in different size. I.e I hold IBM shares in both porfolio 1 and 2 but different numbers.
I have created and IBM investment in portfolio 1 and would llike to create one in Portfolio 2 but when I do that by copying IBM from 1 to 2 and then changing the number of shares also the shares in portfolio 1 change.
How do I wnter IBM 500 shares in portfolio 1 and then IBM 200 shares portfolio 2 without recreating the investment IBM from scratch in porfolio 2 ? ?
Thanks
spogoli

Postby Mark » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 am

Hi spogoli,

You need to create separate investments in each sub-portfolio in this case. If you copy an investment from one sub-portfolio to another, you are placing a copy of the same investment file in both sub-portfolios. Instead, create a new investment for the 2nd sub-portfolio. Just use "File / New Investment...". Is there some reason you don't want to create a new investment "from scratch"?

Also, we have an FAQ on this topic here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... tments.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby spogoli » Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Well it would make sense to create one security for all the porfolios. lets say i have 5 portfolios an din 4 i have the same security why recreate the same security every time ? its time consuming if you have 30 securities you need to recreate every time and leves margin for error in recreating it from scratch.
Every time I add a new client that has similar portfolio I have to recreate all the investments from scratch ?
it makes a lot more sense to create a security once and every time you need it you add it to a portfolio. this might be reason won't choose this software.
Thanks for reply let me know wat you would do with multiple portfolios with similar securities.
spogoli

Postby Mark » Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi spogoli,

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I can see your point, especially for advisors that are manually entering data for many clients. Usually advisors import data, and in this case Fund Manager takes care of creating the new investments automatically for you. In any of the 'import' dialogs you will see an option to "Create New Investments Automatically As Needed". When Fund Manager imports a transaction/position that this client doesn't already have, it creates the investment automatically, and puts this transaction/position in that investment.

Is there some reason you're manually entering all of your data instead of importing or retrieving it?

Maybe we could add a new command like "New Investment from Security List", and this would allow you to choose from a list of already defined securities, which you could then add as a new investment into the selected sub-portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions