Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Changing wrong price in portfolio entry

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Erich Haas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 am

An edited wrong price of a previous date in a portfolio entry is reset to the wrong value when updating the potfolio, also if the wrong entry was deleted.
How to delete the wrong entry permanently?
Erich Haas

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:53 am

Hi Erich,

Where are you viewing this, and how are you editing it?

You can edit the price of any investment in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...). Select the "Prices" data type. Choose the recorded price, and click either "Edit..." or "Delete".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erich Haas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 am

Mark wrote:Hi Erich,

Where are you viewing this, and how are you editing it?

You can edit the price of any investment in the Data Register (Edit / All Data...). Select the "Prices" data type. Choose the recorded price, and click either "Edit..." or "Delete".

Doing as you described, it does not work.
Erich Haas

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:30 am

Hi Erich,

What specifically is not working? Do you get an error message? Are you clicking Edit... or Delete? The more details you can provide on what you're seeing, and what you expect to see, and where you're looking, the better I can help.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erich Haas » Fri May 01, 2009 2:27 am

What specifically is not working? Do you get an error message? Are you clicking Edit... or Delete? The more details you can provide on what you're seeing, and what you expect to see, and where you're looking, the better I can help.

Hi Mark
Thanks for your reply. I try to describe the seqence of my actions:
- Open FM, slect my portfolio, select Graphs, Pie chart investments, select Edit all, select specific investment e.g. Varian Medical, mark the line with the wrong price, select edit, type in the correct price, click "done".
Graph shows the correct values (the corrected price of Varian Medical),
PRC is clicked on, the portfolio is updated by "SWISSQUOTE".
Graph shows the original (not edited) value of Varian Medical.
The same effect happens if I DELETE the wrong Line and reenter the correct data as NEW.
I have not tried the same procedure with other Investments. I will let you know.
Tanks for your assistance.
Erich Haas

Postby Mark » Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am

Hi Erich,

Thanks, that is helpful. What is happening is that you are modifying the price okay in the Data Register, but when you click on the PRC button you are retrieving prices again. Any retrieved prices will replace current price data. When you retrieve from SwissQuote, you are getting prices for the date specified by SwissQuote. That date is probably the same date for the price you are trying to manually edit. Is the price being retrieved from SwissQuote wrong, or why are you changing it? If the SwissQuote price is wrong, you might want to browse to SwissQuote with your browser, and look up that symbol, and see how that quote is being reported. If for some reason you do not want this investment updated at all when you retrieve prices, you can turn off 'Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Update Price' for that investment.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erich Haas » Sat May 02, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks, that is helpful. What is happening is that you are modifying the price okay in the Data Register, but when you click on the PRC button you are retrieving prices again. Any retrieved prices will replace current price data. When you retrieve from SwissQuote, you are getting prices for the date specified by SwissQuote. That date is probably the same date for the price you are trying to manually edit. Is the price being retrieved from SwissQuote wrong, or why are you changing it? If the SwissQuote price is wrong, you might want to browse to SwissQuote with your browser, and look up that symbol, and see how that quote is being reported. If for some reason you do not want this investment updated at all when you retrieve prices, you can turn off 'Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve / Update Price' for that investment.

Hi Mark
The Error consists with the portfolio entry of Varian Medical Systems. However the Editing of the IBM portfolio entry works perfect. Checking the history of varian medical system in swissquote shows no wrong price quotation. I remember that I had some similar effects in the past. I think we should call it a day. Thanking you very much for your assistance, I remain very truly yours
Erich
Erich Haas

Postby Mark » Sat May 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Erich,

Varian Medical Systems is a traded on the NYSE, so you should use Yahoo instead of Swiss Quote. The symbol is VAR. If you look up VAR from the Swiss exchange it shows "VARUK HSBC C 09/09 /Z (VARUK)", which had a close on 4/29/09 of 0.28. Instead, if you look up VAR on Yahoo, you'll get the desired quote of around 33.

If you don't want to change your quote server for all your investments, you can go into Varian Medical Systems investment, and choose "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve", and set it to retrieve from "Yahoo" instead of your "<Default Quote Server>".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erich Haas » Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 am

Varian Medical Systems is a traded on the NYSE, so you should use Yahoo instead of Swiss Quote. The symbol is VAR. If you look up VAR from the Swiss exchange it shows "VARUK HSBC C 09/09 /Z (VARUK)", which had a close on 4/29/09 of 0.28. Instead, if you look up VAR on Yahoo, you'll get the desired quote of around 33.

If you don't want to change your quote server for all your investments, you can go into Varian Medical Systems investment, and choose "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve", and set it to retrieve from "Yahoo" instead of your "<Default Quote Server>".

Hi Mark
Thank you very much for the Solution. I wonder, why Swissquote placed a wrong price. It worked perfectly for month before.
Using YAHOO, it works. I left the updating of the other investments at Swissquote. Thanks again
Erich
Erich Haas

Return to Prices and Transactions