Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo historical price retrive slow

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby CGB » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:51 am

Hi Mark,

I wonder if there are ways to speed up Yahoo historical price retrieval?

Regular Yahoo price retrieve is really fast. However, when I try to retrieve one day of historical prices from a few days ago it takes over an hour and locks me out of FM so I can't use it. It slogs along at 0.00/second, mostly reporting "Getting CRUMB", whatever that means?

I have multiple instances of stocks in different accounts and watch folders, does that affect retrieval speed?

Many stocks are missing cusip numbers, does that affect speed?

Thank you for your help.

CGB
CGB

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Hi CGB,

We've just released an update to address this issue:

The quote module has been updated. Version 577 is available by selecting "Help / Fund Manager on the Web / Check for Updates..." from within Fund Manager 2022 or 2020. This update significantly improves the speed of retrieving from the Yahoo (Historical) and Yahoo (Adjusted Historical) quote servers.

CUSIP isn't used when retrieving prices, so that won't matter. Multiple instances of the same symbol also doesn't matter, as it will only retrieve once, and update all symbols. The new version is much faster, so I suspect that will resolve all your issues with this.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:32 am

Hi Mark,

I installed the update, but now I cannot retrieve any historical prices.

The retrieve works intermittently for a single security, however for the master portfolio it goes through all the symbols and retrieves nothing.

With the previous module I could retrieve historical prices slowly overnight, but with the new module it seems as if Yahoo is blocking access.

Clarke
CGB

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:45 am

Hi Clark,

Are you using Fund Manager 2022.17.4 with quote module 577? Please verify under "Help / About...".

If so, and you're not able to retrieve, please send me a sample ticker symbol or mail your price retrieve log file to us.

Also, if you go to Yahoo Finance with your web browser, can you view the historical prices with your web browser okay?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:37 am

Hi Mark,

Yes, I am using FM 2022.17.4 with module 577.

Sample symbols are: AAPL, AMZN, BMY, BRK-B, CAT.

A message came up after the retrieve listing some tickers it could not get, plus "495 others".

I cannot find the retrieve log, it did not pop up as an option after the retrieval.

I can see historical prices in Yahoo using the same computer with the browser.

Clarke.
CGB

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:42 am

Hi Clark,

Can you try retrieving just one symbol, like AAPL? You can do this by right mouse clicking on AAPL and selecting "Retrieve Selected Historical Prices". Afterwards, the log files are at:

Help / Logs / Price Retrieve...
Help / Logs / Price Retrieve (Detailed)...

Please send me both of these by email.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby CGB » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:38 pm

Hi Mark,

I emailed failed update logs for AAPL.

Normally I can retrieve historical prices for a single symbol like AAPL with new version 577.

However, single symbols fail if I have recently tried to retrieve prices for all the symbols.

On a hunch looking at the log, I tried retrieving historical prices for all symbols with "retrieve splits" unchecked, and it worked. So getting multiple splits appears to be the issue.

CGB
CGB

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:02 am

Hi CGB,

Thanks for the logs. There seems to be a permission issue. I'm not able to recreate it here. I'm wondering if it is specific to the server you happen to be using. What country are you located in? Are you using a VPN? Can you try this:

1) Edit (as an Admin) on your computer the file:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and at the bottom of the file, add the line:

69.147.88.7 query1.finance.yahoo.com

and then save this file.

2) From a CMD prompt, type:

ping query1.finance.yahoo.com

and in the next line, make sure it has this new IP address between the square brackets which should look like this:

Pinging edge.gycpi.b.yahoodns.net [69.147.88.7] with 32 bytes of data:

3) Try retrieving from Yahoo (Historical) again.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions