Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Can not download Vanguard data

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby abarta » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 am

I am a new user who just downloaded Fund Manager and am trying to set up a portfolio using the new portfolio setup wizard. I put in my Vanguard user name, account number and password and FM tries to retrieve the transactions and positions data. I get an error message #122 which states 'the data area passed to a system call is too small'. I can't find any reference to this problem in the forum so I am seeking help from others who may have also had this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have
abarta

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 am

Hi abarta,

This sounds like an error message that came back from Vanguard's OFX server. I've not run into that error before. I did just check Vanguard's OFX server, and it appears to be working okay from here.

Do you have any non-alphanumeric characters in the username, account number, or password? Maybe there is some odd character causing that error. You can also take a look at the "ofxpost.txt" and "ofxretr.txt" log files, to see if there is anything else unusual, or any further information on what caused this error. If you'd like, you can email us those log files, and we'll take a look. For more info on these log files, see the bottom of this page:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tintrtv.html

To get our email address, submit any simple message on our email contact form, and it will display a regular email address once you submit the form:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/email.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby abarta » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark.

There are no non-alphanumeric characters in the username, acct. # or password. I have tried to do the download several times, each time filling in the required data in case I made a typo error previously with the same failure message each time.

I can find no log files for this aborted request. A second message screen after the error window, indicates that there was a failure to retrieve the portfolio. Would there be a log file if there was no download?

FYI, I am using Vista 64 bit operating system.
abarta

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi abarta,

Yes, you should still get these 2 log files. The "AppData" folder is hidden, so you may need to turn on the display of hidden flies/folders to see it. Were you able to find the <username>/AppData/Roaming/Fund Manager folder okay? The log files should be in there.

Are you able to retrieve from other brokers or fund companies okay? It would be helpful to know if this is Vanguard specific. You can try selecting another broker and see if you at least get the 'invalid login' response.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions