Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Issues with price retrieval

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby rsvr » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi,

I'm working with the trial software and started entering some stocks manually.
I noticed that the prices are fine until I get historical data and then it screws up my manual transactions. My stocks are in pence so 0.80p per share for example.

Once I do a data retrieval, the data is imported as 88.00, but it should appear as 0.88 in FM, otherwise my total share price becomes £8,800.00 rather than £88.00. I've checked on Yahoo and the data is imported correctly, so I'm perhaps doing something wrong? Yahoo display 88.00 which is clearly correct.

Here is a screen grab.

Please help. Thanks

prices.jpg
prices.jpg (137.57 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
rsvr

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:17 am

Hello rsvr,

It sounds like you are getting prices in pence (~88), but you want pounds (~0.88)? If you use the Yahoo UK & Ireland quote server and your symbol ends in .L, FM will automatically update in pounds instead of pence. What quote server are you using? Notice, "Yahoo" is different from "Yahoo UK & Ireland". What symbol are you using? Please read this:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#YahooUK

If you don't want to use Yahoo UK, you can also use the "Multiple Retrieved Price By" option under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" and set that to 0.01 if you want to record prices in pounds instead of pence when retrieving from Yahoo.

Basically, if you just change your quote server under "Options / Internet Settings..." to "Yahoo UK & Ireland" this will give you what you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rsvr » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:01 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for getting back to me.

Mark wrote:Hello rsvr,

It sounds like you are getting prices in pence (~88), but you want pounds (~0.88)? If you use the Yahoo UK & Ireland quote server and your symbol ends in .L, FM will automatically update in pounds instead of pence. What quote server are you using? Notice, "Yahoo" is different from "Yahoo UK & Ireland". What symbol are you using?

I'm already using Yahoo UK & Ireland for quotes and symbol ending in .L
Mark wrote:If you don't want to use Yahoo UK, you can also use the "Multiple Retrieved Price By" option under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" and set that to 0.01 if you want to record prices in pounds instead of pence when retrieving from Yahoo.

I'll try this.
Mark wrote:Basically, if you just change your quote server under "Options / Internet Settings..." to "Yahoo UK & Ireland" this will give you what you want.

As above, that's what I was using already.

I'll try changing the other thing.
Thanks
rsvr

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi rsvr,

If you have an example symbol ending in .L that isn't retrieving in pounds, please let me know, and I'll test it from here. You might also check all your settings at the investment level under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve". Maybe your global quote server is Yahoo UK, but at the investment level it isn't?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MattGMT » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Hi rsvr,

I have experienced this problem also and have found that if I set the "Multiple Retrieved Price By" option under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve" to 0.01 - as mentioned by Mark - and do an initial historical price retrieval and then reset the 0.01 to 1 and repeat the price retrieval, it provides a solution. Your £8800 will correct itself to read £88.00.
I Still haven't found a reason for the problem.

Regards,
Matt
MattGMT

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:37 pm

Hi Matt,

The reason is that the "historical" retrieve is using "Yahoo (Historical)", which doesn't do the divide by 100 on symbols with .L extensions. This is only specific to Yahoo UK & Ireland server, which is only current quotes.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions