Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Fractional shares

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby faezandyc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:03 pm

I bought shares of a company through a broker at some price. Later I got a dividend that was reinvested at some other price. So now I had some number of shares plus fractional shares.
Then my broker sold the shares and the fractional shares in two separate transactions. One for the whole number of shares and another for the fractional shares.
When I put the numbers from the transactions into Fund Manager, the investment value shows remaining fractional shares out to the 5th decimal point.
What do I have to do to zero out those shares? I’m sure the numbers are just a result of rounding.
Andy
faezandyc

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Hi Andy,

Yes, it sounds like you have some rounding issues in the shares. When you edit a transaction, it will show all the recorded shares, so you can make sure these are all recorded exactly correctly. We have some tips on how to enter transactions to avoid rounding errors here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/hel ... rrors.html

You might also like to temporarily turn up the "share digits" under "Options / General Preferences... / Display / Decimal Places/Other" to 8 so you can see in the Data Register how everything is recorded exactly. If anything doesn't have the exact correct number of shares, edit that transaction, keeping in mind those rounding error tips.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby faezandyc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. I'll try your suggestions.

Andy
faezandyc

Return to Prices and Transactions