Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Retrieving Transactions from Vanguard into Fund Manager

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby janfl133 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm

I have recently opened (2) Vanguard Accounts and cannot retrieve my transactions into my Fund Manager Program, without problems.
All week long I can go into my Vanguard Account but on Saturday mornings when I go into my Fund Manager Program and retrieve transactions, I get the message: Sign on failed due to Invalid Credentials. My credentials in Fund Manager are the same as the Credentials when I sign on to Vanguard on my own. I then get the message that there have been too many attempts to sign on. Then, when I sign in to Vanguard on my own, I have to create a new password because my account has been blocked. I then go back to Fund Manager and retrieve transactions in each of my two accounts, they go through and my transactions are retrieved.
I have had many conversations with Vanguard Tech Support, all to no avail. They say they do not have a contract with Fund Manager and so cannot help me. They have contracts with Quicken, Turbo Tax and one more. When I explain that Fund Manager used the same protocol as Quicken they still cannot help me.
They advised me to contact you for guidance. (Sorry this is so long.)
Please help.
janfl133

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:07 pm

janfl133 wrote:I then go back to Fund Manager and retrieve transactions in each of my two accounts, they go through and my transactions are retrieved.

Hi janfl133,

So, are things working now?

If you're still getting a signon invalid error, this just means either your username/password aren't being accepted by Vanguard's OFX server. Fund Manager uses the same interface as Quicken, so if they won't help you with Fund Manager, ask to make sure your accounts are enabled for Quicken access. It may be possible there is a delay in setting up your new accounts on their OFX server, even though you can log into your accounts on their web server. I'm not sure..., but if the problem still persists, I would suggest asking them again for help ensuring your accounts are set up okay for Quicken access, and use the same credentials for Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby janfl133 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Terrible. Vanguard does not even seem to know what an OFX Server is. Can I be the only one having this problem? When I told them I was having a problem downloading transactions and getting blocked out of their website, they told me to contact Quicken, so I am contacting you. My account manager said they use Yodlee whatever that is. I have been using your program for many years and would hate to have to change. When I asked if my accounts were set up to access Quicken, she said that was beyond her scope and there was no other Dept. that could help me.

Please help.

By the way, my ID and PW information for VG is correct.
janfl133

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi janfl133,

I'm not sure what else to suggest. This isn't a widespread problem. We haven't had any other problem reports. I also have tested it and it is working properly on my tests. The signon invalid message is coming from Vanguard's OFX server, so somehow the username/password aren't being accepted. The only other thing I can think of to try is changing your password so it only contains letters and numbers, and no special characters. This really shouldn't matter, but it might be worth trying.

Another option is to try it in Quicken.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby janfl133 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:14 pm

I downloaded Quicken and was able to retrieve transactions from Vanguard and from Charles Schwab which I also was not able to do in FM in the past.

Of course, I prefer Fund Manager and wish we could figure this out.
janfl133

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi janfl133,

Is Vanguard still not working for you in FM? If you can get it working in Quicken, but not FM, then I'm not sure why that would be. Maybe we can do a quick web meeting, and look at it together.

For Schwab, if you use the new "Charles Schwab - NEW" broker interface, you should be able to retrieve in FM. See the instructions here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... ersion.php
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby janfl133 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:23 am

I only have Charles Schwab Old. I am using FM 2018.
janfl133

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:43 am

If you'd like to retrieve from Schwab you'll need to upgrade to Fund Manager 2020. Vanguard should still work with FM 2018 though.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby janfl133 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:22 am

I have found that whether I am in the Master Portfolio or in Portfolio Editor, if I retrieve the transactions for each of my two Vanguard accounts individually, I do not run into the problem of Vanguard locking me out of my account. However, it continues to happen when I retrieve transactions for all my portfolios.

I am hoping that this information might give you a clue as to why the lock out happens.

Hoping for a final solution.
janfl133

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:55 am

Hi janfl133,

It sounds like one of your other (not one of these 2 that retrieve okay) are set with some invalid credentials. I would suggest looking through all of your other sub-portfolios, and make sure they aren't set to retrieve from Vanguard. You might have one set with an invalid password. You can do this in the Portfolio Editor. Look at the properties of every sub-portfolio and click on "Transaction Retrieve Settings...". Check all of your sub-portfolios, even the ones you don't expect to have this set, like your top level Master Portfolio. Higher level or organizational sub-portfolios should not have "Retrieve Transactions" turned on. Only lower level account sub-portfolios should have this on.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby janfl133 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:28 am

You are so right. I had the Master Portfolio with Vanguard and retrieve transactions. I have corrected it and now everything works fine. I can get rid of Quicken which I do not like at all.
Thanx for your help.
janfl133

Return to Prices and Transactions