Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Duplicate Investment with Schwab Transaction Download

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby sbsmith3550 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:43 pm

When downloading transactions from Schwab, a duplicate investment is set up, even though the security already exists in my portfolio. Should I delete the earlier investment and combine it with the new investment (with the same security symbol) and, if so, how do I combine the two?
sbsmith3550

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi sbsmith3550,

I'm guessing your old investment didn't have the CUSIP recorded, but just the symbol. If so, I'd suggest this:

- Copy the CUSIP value from the new to the old investment (Investment Properties...)
- Close the new investment
- Re-retrieve your account for the dates since the new investment started (end of transactions in old investment) and make sure the transactions are going into the existing investment, and not creating a new one.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbsmith3550 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Mark,

That was the problem! Thanks!
sbsmith3550

Postby geotx » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:29 pm

I fixed the few dups from Schwab, works fine. On the investment properties screen, Account Number box, some have older account numbers from another bank I brought over to schwab, some pre schwab change numbers, and some post swab numbers. I think these point to the data file for the investment (like IBM). They seem to all be working, keeping the history and updating ok. Should I go back by hand and change the account number on each investment to post schwab (encrypted) ?

Im not sure where to find the answer to this next problem.

PCI was merged into PDI this month, the CUSIP changed, and also the # shares changed by a factor of 0.82 (roughly, but same $ value). Should I hide PCI to keep all its history and open a new for PDI ? (like do a sold on PCI and buy PDI w the money?)

Thanks! (Fund Manager is Excellent!)
geotx

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi geotx,

You don't need to edit the account number property of the investments. It isn't used when retrieving transactions. If anything, you can just erase it, and leave it empty.

For a merger like this you can record a split, and then change the name/symbol/CUSIP of the existing investment. No need to close or create a new investment (as long as you didn't own both of the pre-merge companies). Splits can be any ratio you want, so record it with a ratio of <new_shares> for <old_shares> For example, if you had 100 shares before, and now have 82, record an 82 for 100 split.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions