Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Schwab Transaction Retrieve Failure

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ssherbin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:48 am

I just downloaded and installed transaction module 248 and am still getting a "Failed to retrieve transaction" from all portfolios at Schwab. I then closed and reopened FM and get the same error message. My system configuration is:
Ver=2020.16.11.100
Quote Mod=562
Trans Mod=248
OS=Win 10 Pro
ssherbin

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:49 am

Hi ssherbin,

If you go into the properties of one of your Schwab sub-portfolios and choose "Transaction Retrieve Settings... / Get Access Code...", are you able to get an access code successfully? If so, try retrieving again after getting an access code. If you haven't seen the instructions for the new "Charles Schwab - New" server yet, please read this:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... ersion.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ssherbin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Thanks, Mark.

I did find and follow the instructions you posted. The fix worked fine on the Schwab accounts that I had FULL Power of Attorney rights on. The Schwab accounts where I had only partial PoA rights (view & download transactions) used to work in FM to download transactions, but after the changes they no longer are able to get transaction updates.

In speaking with Schwab, they agree that the fault is on their end and say they will work toward a solution.

Thanks again for your help.
ssherbin

Postby dbender54 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Please confirm or provide clarification on this issue with regards to downloading transactions from Schwab. I've updated the transaction retrieval as earlier described, on all my accounts and received the access code. This all works fine. But, if I install the application on another computer and restore the portfolio fro the backup, it seems I have to get a new access code? And when I returned to the main computer and wanted to update, I needed to get new access codes ( received error messages until I did)? Is this going to be the case each time I use one computer or the other (having to get new and I assume unique access codes)?
dbender54

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 am

Hi dbender54,

Your access code (and associated tokens) are stored in your computer at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fund Manager\<access_code>.txt

If you're going to be retrieving from multiple computers, you will need to copy this file between computers, so you're always using the latest tokens for your access code. Each time you retrieve, this file may be updated with new tokens, invalidating old tokens, so you either need to retrieve a new access code when you switch computers, or keep using the latest copy of this file when you retrieve, no matter where you're retrieving from. Alternatively, use the Portable/Cloud mode. We've updated the instructions to document this better.

In a future version we will see about including this file in backups, so when you restore to a new computer, this file is transferred as well.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:18 pm

ssherbin wrote:The fix worked fine on the Schwab accounts that I had FULL Power of Attorney rights on. The Schwab accounts where I had only partial PoA rights (view & download transactions) used to work in FM to download transactions, but after the changes they no longer are able to get transaction updates.

In speaking with Schwab, they agree that the fault is on their end and say they will work toward a solution.

I wonder if there is more news from Schwab on FDX access to accounts with limited POA rather than Full POA. I have the same issue and when I spoke with Schwab they made it sound as though it were a matter of policy rather than something they planned to change.

Thanks,

David
dlevy

Postby dbender54 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Thank you Mark. I’m probably a bit of an edge case as I run FM (primarily) on a Mac under a Windows Parallels VM. When I tried installing and restoring it to a backup computer (a “pure” Windows computer), I ran into a small snag, which is that the install path is understandably different between the two OS. One of the “benefits” of (kind of) living in both worlds. :wink: I was able to work my way through this unexpected stumbling block.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi dbender54,

This issue can happen even when going between 2 standard Windows computers. This is why we suggest using the Set Data Location... command on the source computer, and restoring to a specified folder on the destination computer. See the New Computer Instructions for details.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:14 pm

I checked that setting and it's different for a VM. \\Mac\Home\Documents\Fund Manager which wouldn't exist on a Windows system. I'll check that setting on my backup system as well.
Thanks for the link.
dbender54

Return to Prices and Transactions