Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

New Schwab Transaction Download interface in place

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Homer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 am

Hey Mark,

I spoke with a Todd Gertsh on the technical support desk at Schwab today. He related that Schwab is now going to require each accessing company to use a new API (application programming interface for you non-techies) to access the transaction data from Schwab. It's current address is Developer.Schwab.com. They want to be able to have better info on who is accessing the data under the guise of security controls. Isn't that special for them to let everyone know?

I figure you are well aware. What is the plan and ETA?

Best regards,

Homer
Homer

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi Homer,

Yes, we've been aware of this for a while, and have already implemented this. It is available using the instructions documented here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... ersion.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Homer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm

DOH!
I was out to lunch again.
But I'm all set up and going again. Thanks Mark, for your unwavering support.
You and Fund Manager continue to ROCK!

Very best regards,

Homer
Attachments
DOH.jpg
DOH.jpg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Homer

Postby dbender54 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 pm

Setting up the access code works as described, but what I haven't seen anywhere is a statement from Fundmanager Software in regards to aggregation privacy and whether and to whom any information we may, in the course of adding this access to our accounts, is disclosed and whether it is stored with you and how (and if so how secured) , who has access, etc.
Maybe it's just them covering their liability, but not knowing what access you (Fundmanager Software) have access to as a virtue of providing access is any more or less than was provided before this change from Schwab is a bit troubling.

Can you pease comment or link to some disclosures related to the releases we've given?
Thanks.

"The Schwab Security Guarantee linked to below covers losses in your Schwab accounts, including any accounts to which you instruct us to give access to an Aggregator. You understand that the protections of the Schwab Security Guarantee will not apply to losses caused by the use, disclosure or exposure of your Account Information by an Aggregator or other third party with whom an Aggregator shares your Account Information because they are your authorized persons. DO NOT SHARE YOUR SCHWAB LOGIN CREDENTIALS WITH ANYONE OR THE SECURITY GUARANTEE WILL NOT APPLY. See (https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn ... antee.html) "
dbender54

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi debender54,

You can read this for details:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... curity.php

But, the bottom line is none of your data is shared with anyone, including Beiley Software. When you use an OFX interface you do have to enter login credentials into Fund Manager, and those are stored on your PC only, as described in the FAQ above. With the new FDX server things are more secure. You never enter your login credentials into Fund Manager. You're only entering them into Schwab's site, which then gives you an access code to use in Fund Manager, thus safeguarding your login credentials. Now, the only thing Fund Manager has is this access code (stored only on your PC still), which provides Fund Manager the limited access to retrieve your data through Schwab's FDX server.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:08 pm

Thank you. I realize none of this is the initiative of Fundmanager, just an (unavoidable) hassle from Schwab for reasons that to me (as opposed to Schwab) provide no discernible benefits. I do see that the login details are no longer maintained in Fundmanager and that is a benefit, but the login info was never more secure than the computer. Unavoidable in this scenario, but I/We have about 10 different accounts at Schwab.
I believe we all appreciate your continued responsiveness to the changes that take place.
Thank you again.
dbender54

Return to Prices and Transactions