Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Using Quandl's SEP file as the <local file>

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby davidlowe » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:31 pm

First of all, very glad to have found FM a week ago. :D I have been digging in to learn as much as I can. I am hoping to use FM to manage my family's IRA/brokerage accounts that are scattered with various companies.

When using the .csv file from a data vendor (Quandl's SEP package in my example) as the "<local file>," is it possible to specify the import format string like in the "Import / Prices / Generic" function?

Thanks for reviewing my question.
davidlowe

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 pm

Hi davidlowe,

Sorry, no, when using the "<local file>" quote server, the supplied pricing file should contain data in either of these 2 pre-defined formats:

SYMB,MM/DD/YY,NAV
SYMB,MM/DD/YY,NAV,OO,HH,LL,VV

You can't currently choose your own format, like you can when you use the generic price import. This would probably be a good improvement...

Also, Quandl is one of our supported quote servers, maybe you can just use that to retrieve your data instead of downloading/importing? See:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/intrtv.html#Quandl
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby davidlowe » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks, Mark, for the quick reply.

So far, my experience with using Quandl's free quotes and historical has been "sub-optimal." For the last week of using the application, the mutual fund pricing was non-existent and the stock quotes have been hit-and-miss. Since I already have been paying for the premium data, the logical course action seems to be trying to leverage them for FM if possible.

It is not a problem for me with the pre-defined format for the <local file> option -- I just need to write a Python script to pre-process Quandl's premium data before feeding them to FM. I just did not want to miss anything obvious before I go and write the script.

Again, FM looks good for what I need to do, so I look forward to working with it with the data available to me.
davidlowe

Return to Prices and Transactions