Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yahoo historical prices wrong

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby rgifford » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:03 pm

I'm transferring holdings to Fund Manager and accessing historical prices from Yahoo.

One of the shares is ISF.L with this page on Yahoo
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/ISF. ... ry?p=ISF.L
which has historical prices about 50% more than they should be.

Is there another of the servers which gives accurate UK/LSE historical prices? Is this a common problem and how should I deal with it if it is?
rgifford

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi rgifford,

I've not heard of this problem before, so I don't think it is a widespread issue with Yahoo, but I can't say for sure. FM just grabs the data as provided by Yahoo. You could try finding your quotes on one of our other historical quote servers. Just use your browser to go look first before trying to use FM to retrieve.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rgifford » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:52 pm

I know it isn't a Fund Manager issue, it is reading duff data. I only noticed because old value of my portfolio were just wrong. Without that I may not have noticed.

Most of the other servers appear to be US based. Are they generally reliable for UK/LSE prices?

I can look at examples and see where they are glaringly wrong but will miss some, especially where they are wrong a while back rather than short term recently.
rgifford

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi rgifford,

Sorry, I can't really speak to the reliability of these quotes on Yahoo. I haven't heard of it being an issue before. Have you noticed it on more than this one security?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rgifford » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:48 am

I have noticed some prices which have a spell at 1% of the correct value. All of my holdings are either ETFs or ITs, Yahoo may be more reliable with regular shares.

I have imported old prices from the software I was using before starting to use Fund Manager again, after many years, so I have worked round the Yahoo data problems. I will have to always watch for accuracy of prices, which is unfortunate.
rgifford

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 am

Hi rgifford, on FT you should find LSE ETF prices too.
https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsh ... SF:LSE:GBX
Djobydjoba

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:45 am

Since your first post was "... about 50% ..." which is a nice even ratio, perhaps Yahoo adjusted for a stock split (reverse ,in your example) differently.

Long story made really short as way of illustration, BF-A did a huge stock dividend in class B stock. I forget the details exactly ... pure stock dividend or some type of split using a different class ... but the end result was BF-A price was cut 50%.

For awhile in Fund Manager, looking at a price chart of BF-A, I had a 50% price drop in BF-A at the point of the event. Then for some reason that I also don't remember, I reloaded historical data. Yahoo had back-adjusted historical prices. Now my price chart has a transaction-dot floating 50% above the price line for my opening purchase of BF-A.

All this is probably caused by me not accounting correctly per FM's expectations. But the chart is all that's wrong ... my reports on unrealized cap gain, etc., are all correct. And to me that's what matters.
Bruce

Return to Prices and Transactions