Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Internet Retrieve Reactivated after Restore?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dlevy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Hello,

I have a handful of investments for which I have unchecked "Retrieve Price" in the "Internet Retrieve" tab of the Investment Properties dialogue.

I have found that sporadically it becomes checked (and gives me errors on those investments when I retrieve prices).

I believe I have found the "culprit" -- it seems to happen only when I restore a portfolio (even though the backed-up portfolio has "Retrieve Price" unchecked). So I suspect that either the backup operation fails to record the state of the checkbox or the restore operation fails to apply it to the investment.

Possible? Or might something else going on?

With thanks,

David
dlevy

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:20 am

Hi David,

This attribute is a property of each investment, and stored in the *.dat file. So, if you're restoring investments from a backup, each *.dat will be restored, along with the properties. This isn't a property of a portfolio.

One command that can sometimes cause confusion here is the "Hide Sold Investments" command. If you're using that, it can turn on/off this "Retrieve Price" option on your investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:10 am

Thanks, Mark.

Ah, I guessed wrong as to the cause.

Yes, I toggle "Hide Sold Investments" with frequency (particularly at tax time). I would find it helpful if it did not touch the "Retrieve Price" option on unsold investments. Is that deliberate behavior? Is there anything I can do to avoid it?
dlevy

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:16 am

Hi dlevy,

The command is at "File / Options / Hide Sold Investments...". Notice in that dialog, the first 2 options control whether or not to hide sold or un-hide non-sold investments. If you don't want this command changing that property, un-check both of those.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:47 am

Perfect. Thank you!
dlevy

Return to Prices and Transactions