Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price history span controlled by last server accessed

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby rlaggren » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Mark,

Something surprising here. Or maybe I'm doing something to confuse FM.

Retrieving prices from multiple servers does not provide the deepest price history - because if the last retrieve done (using same date criteria) has less data than an earlier retrieval from a different site, FM apparently loses any data from the earlier site not provided by the latest site.

Very strange. I had assumed that bouncing down the server options and trying each one with the same wide date span would simply add in any additional data found - not drop data already downloaded previously if the newest server didn't itself provide it.

I base this on the Graph/SharePrice display. I download with a date span of 1/1/2001 to present, applying this span to any servers I try. This is how I found that WallStreetHIstory provides better history than Yahoo or Morningstar - because after trying Yahoo I found my graph started at 2015 instead of starting at 2012 like it had moment ago. Again retrieving from WallStreetHistory, my graph again shows data from 2012.

Regards,
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:09 am

Hi Rufus,

Your assumption is correct. When you retrieve prices, it never "deletes" any prior data, it just overwrites any existing data with the new data retrieved. It will fill in all dates retrieved. If there was no prior price data point, one will be added. If an existing price was already recorded for a particular date the newly retrieved price for that date will overwrite the prior recorded one. To help debug the situation, you can look at your data in the Data Register under the data type of "Prices".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions