Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Upload multiple ticker prices from csv file

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby mar » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi - what is the correct format of a csv file in order to upload price history for multiple tickers all at once (ie just uploading one csv file instead of a single one for each ticker/symbol)?

Is this a correct format: MM/DD/YY NAV SYMB MM/DD/YY NAV SYMB MM/DD/YY NAV SYMB

Across columns A to O for example.

I have a few investments in stocks where there isn't a direct link to get prices but have my own data feed for those prices that I would like to upload into Fund Manager.

Thanks!
mar

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Hi mar,

There is no one "correct" format. When importing from a CSV file you are using the "generic" import, where you can type in the format of your CSV file. So, if you have a file in CSV format with data like:

MM/DD/YY,SYMB,NAV

You would type that into the format string dialog box under "File / Import / Prices / Generic...". You don't have to just choose from the drop-down, as those are only your most recent entries. You can type directly into that box.

Another tip: Open up your CSV file in a text editor, like Notepad before importing, so you can see exactly how it is formatted. Often there can be hidden characters like double quotes.

Finally, press the "Help..." button in that dialog for detailed instructions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:03 pm

Thanks Mark. I am able to upload my current csv file using the generic import function, however it only works when I use only 3 columns for example (DATE, NAV, SYMBOL) instead of 9 (for 3 different securities).

For example if I had 3 stocks with 3 dates & prices I need a csv file with 3 columns x 10 rows (1 row for heading) vs 9 columns x 4 rows, because the program wouldn't continue reading across the columns..

Is that correct?

If so it just makes it more difficult to clean up the data I already have on auto download from excel to then import into Fund Manager..
mar

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:24 am

Hi mar,

This is correct, you can only have 1 data point per row.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions