Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Update Portfolios

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Ilikemybu » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:44 am

Hi Mark,

I decided to try out Fundmanager again, after trying it a few years back (and giving up). I've looked for a tutorial about updating portfolios once they have been initially downloaded to reflect new activity, but haven't come across anything. Can you please give me some guidance? I didn't want to make a mistake and screw up my portfolios with redundant information

Also, (although I haven't dug into yet), I think I found the field to report the highest price since I owned a stock, however, is there a field that shows the date of that high point? I use this to set trailing stop losses and days since high (since purchase)

Thx
Dave
Ilikemybu

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:55 am

Hi Dave,

Once you've set up your accounts, and they are balanced to today, going forward you can just retrieve transactions to get any new transactions. There isn't a tutorial on retrieving transactions. It is pretty straight-forward. See the instructions at the link I made above. Basically, you just do "Edit / Internet Retrieve / Transactions..." or choose the "TRN" button on the toolbar. You can enter a date range, what sub-portfolio to retrieve, etc. Typically you'd retrieve your top-most sub-portfolio, and include all sub-portfolios beneath it, since the date of your last retrieve.

If you're ever worried about making some mistakes when doing something new, you can always do a "File / Backup..." right beforehand. With this backup, you can always get back to where you are at the time of that backup.

In a Custom report, see the field: Highest Close (between). This shows the highest price between the starting/ending report dates, but not since purchase (as that could have been multiple dates).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ilikemybu » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for the quick response, I was thinking the retrieve was that easy, but didn't want to screw up. I did a retrieve and for some reason there were 2 sells that appeared that did not happen. I just deleted them

Mark wrote:In a Custom report, see the field: Highest Close (between). This shows the highest price between the starting/ending report dates, but not since purchase (as that could have been multiple dates).

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the highest price, I assume this would only be true if there are multiple lots? Is there a field with the date of the highest close between? I still think it would be valuable to have the highest price since original purchase.
Ilikemybu

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:22 am

Hi Ilikemybu,

If there were 2 sell transactions retrieved, then something isn't right. Maybe it is for a different account? I would suggest checking this out, and seeing where those are from. If the broker is reporting sell transactions then they happened. You might log into the account at your brokerage, and compare what is retrieved with what you see in your online account.

The field:

Highest Close (between)

will report the highest closing price in each investment from the report's starting date, through the ending date. You set the date range of the report. This is the highest closing market price, not any of your transaction prices. Closing prices are separate from transaction prices.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions