Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Req for help adding cost to transferred in transactions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby randomfive » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:56 am

I started using Fund Manager at the same time I transferred all my investment accounts to Vanguard. So the first transaction in several accounts is a "transferred in balance" with share holding counts but no associated cost.

Could you please help me understand better where to input the cost data for each transferred amount?

Below is the screen I believe I need to input the data into.

What is intended to be input into each of:
1. Top section "Transferred in": Market Value -> is this the market value at time of transfer? If so, what purpose does this serve, where is it used?
2. Top section "Transferred in": OOP Cost Value -> is this the original purchase cost only, and is to exclude all subsequent reinvestment of dividends?
3. Tax cost basis: Value --> if I'm right about #2 above, then I'm thinking this is where I put the cumulative cost of original purchase + reinvestment of dividends?

Thanks for help with these definitions.

OOP screen.png
OOP screen.png (15.67 KiB) Viewed 867 times
randomfive

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi randomfive,

Market Value: The value of the shares on the date they transferred. This is used when calculating performance (ROI) back to this date. It is your starting point, from a performance point of view.

OOP Cost Value: This is the value of your "Out Of Pocket" cost for these shares. FM calculates both a tax and OOP cost, and they can differ because of dividends. If you receive a dividend, your OOP cost lowers. If you reinvest a dividend, your tax basis increases. For more, see the Out Of Pocket Definition.

Tax cost basis: Value. This is your tax cost basis.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby randomfive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Thank you!
randomfive

Return to Prices and Transactions