Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Account Reregistration and maintaining history

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby ricbertsch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:19 am

Mark, I have an account that is being transferred from a 401k to IRA within TD Ameritrade. I would prefer to keep all of the history of the 401k within the new IRA. What if any, is the best way to do this without having to create a complete new portfolio? Thanks!!
Richard G. Bertsch CFP(tm)
ricbertsch

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:20 am

Hi ricbertsch,

If you're just moving a whole account into a new account, simply rename the sub-portfolio, and change the properties like account number. If you're transferring into an existing account with other investments, you can simply move all the investments from the old sub to the new. Use the Portfolio Editor to drag/drop.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ricbertsch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am

Mark, I tried moving and renaming but the transactions would duplicate. I believe I found a solution as follows where the transactions did not duplicate:
Do not create the new IRA Portfolio at all. Do the Import and the a new account number will appear with no name and the old account being transferred out will zero out.

After the import I took the new unamed account # and copied it to the existing client and renamed the portfolio as (Client Name) IRA. This seemed to work. I then had to copy the old 401k/PSP Zero Share Portfolio Holdings and transaction history over to the IRA.

Lastly, I copied the old history transactions (less the transfer out) for each holding that was transferred to the new IRA and copied it over to the new IRA Account.
Richard G. Bertsch CFP(tm)
ricbertsch

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 am

Hi ricbertsch,

It sounds like you could have just changed the name/account # and not retrieved transactions for this transfer.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions