Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

cash account reconciliation differences

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby randomfive » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:12 am

I very regularly get cash account reconciliation differences.

E.g. in a small UTMA account at Vanguard with only $3k in it, I have a variance of $2.6k in the Federal Money Market Fund balance. There's probably been 5 transactions into and out of that money market fund.

Is there something I am supposed to be doing to prevent this from ocurring?

What's the best way for me to resolve?

Thanks!
randomfive

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:08 am

Hi randomfive,

You want to make sure you have all the transactions recorded as they happened. Reconciling cash is like reconciling anything else. Cash is a bit different in that you want to keep all transactions at a price of 1, and the value equals the shares. However, the number of shares owned works just like any other investment, in that the balance is simply the sum of all prior recorded transactions. See our tutorial on reconciling, and our tutorial on tracking cash.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby randomfive » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for your response!

I watched the video and as far as I can determine I'm following all the instructions already and have the check boxes selected as per the screen image.

I'm attaching here the transactions in my basic UTMA account that has little activity and has not been open that long. All the lines I've highlighted need to be deleted in order to equal the correct balance.

Do you have any suggestions for how these transactions were generated, all but one being a duplicate?

Thanks!
Attachments
cash account.png
cash account.png (124.67 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
randomfive

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi randomfive,

It looks like you are using this money fund investment as a default cash account, but your broker is also reporting these money fund transactions specifically. In this case you are double recording transactions in the money fund. So, either don't use the default cash account feature, or use a separate cash investment from your money market as a sweep cash account. Take the example where you bought something for $895 on 10/30.

You can either record it without a default cash account like this:

10/30 Buy ETF for $895
11/3 Sell Money Fund for $895

Or, if you use a sweep cash investment (a separate investment from your money fund that will end up having 0 shares once things settle), record:

10/30 Buy ETF for $895
10/30 Sell Sweep Cash for $895
11/3 Sell Money Fund for $895
11/3 Buy Sweep Cash for $895

Notice, the "Sweep Cash" will end up with 0 shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby randomfive » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:12 pm

Thank you for solving my problem, and for responding so rapidly. Much appreciated! I am choosing to turn off the default cash reporting.
randomfive

Return to Prices and Transactions