Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Unwanted Price History Retrieval.

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby aviator » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 am

Hi Mark,

When I do a price history retrieval a couple of weird things are happening:

1) The retrieval box indicates FM is retrieving price history for securities that may be hidden or closed. In other words, I'm getting all my non-hidden and non-closed price histories just as I need, but I'm also seeing histories being retrieved for securities that I can't see (even with View Hidden Investments turned on) and might be closed. A couple of questions:
a) Is there a quick way to see which investments are getting their price histories retrieved at the sub-portfolio level? The retrieval box flashes quickly and the couple of investments I jotted down are nowhere to be found.
b) When an investment is closed, I'm presuming the Internet Retrieve part of the investment also ceases. True?

2) I have a cash investment which has, under its Investment Properties/Internet Retrieve, its Retrieve Price unchecked and its Update Price when Retrieving Transactions checked. Yet each time I run a price history, I get a message saying this investment isn't available on my selected server. As the Retrieve Price is unchecked, not sure what server FM is referring to since I don't want this investment's prices updated anyway. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 am

Hi Aviator,

Closed investments will not retrieve, as they are closed. However, a hidden investment could very well be set to retrieve prices. The hidden attribute is separate from the price retrieve attribute. You can see a log of everything retrieved under "Help / Logs / Price Retrieve". For your cash case, you may have another investment with that same symbol, which is set to retrieve. A helpful tool to find investments based on symbol is "Edit / Find...". Make sure under the "..." button you have on the option to include hidden items in your search. The search results will show you the location of each found item.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 am

Ok, using the log files I've narrowed down the problem to FM doing a price retrieve on a portfolio not in the hierarchy of the one I've selected.

Here are specifics for my updating of historical prices:
a) I select a sub-portfolio by clicking on it (which highlights the sub for which I want to obtain price histories).
b) From the menu at the top of the portfolio editor screen, I click on the Historical Price History button.
c) This causes FM to retrieve historical prices for sub-portfolios not in the sub I selected in step A above. In my case, FM is selecting historical prices on a hidden sub not in the hierarchy of the sub I selected in step A above. I believe this works differently from the Transaction Retrieve button where only the sub-portfolios in that hierarchy are selected for retrieval.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:29 am

Hi aviator,

Yes, this is the intended operation. When you use the top level menu commands or toolbar buttons to retrieve prices, it retrieves everything set to retrieve. If you only want to retrieve prices for that specific sub-portfolio, right mouse click on that sub-portfolio and choose "Retrieve Selected (Historical) Prices". You can use this same technique to retrieve anything that you select, including individual investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks, got it figured out. By way of feedback, may I suggest the addition of a couple of utilities:
1) A quick and easy way to see what investments are queued up for retrieval before it actually happens.
2) Improve the readability of where an investment is located. The current format, where sub-portfolios are separated by /'s is hard to read. I'm accustomed to the tree hierarchy of FM and have a hard time wrapping my mind around long strings of text. (Would be even nicer if the location field in the Find function took me directly to the account when clicking on it.)

Thanks for listening.
aviator

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:01 am

Hi aviator,

Glad you got it. Thanks for the feedback/ideas. Tip: Have the Portfolio Editor open when using the Find feature. If you single click on an investment in the Find dialog, it will select that investment for you in the Portfolio Editor (switching to the sub-portfolio if necessary). If you double click it will select it, and close the Find dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:41 pm

Mark wrote:If you single click on an investment in the Find dialog, it will select that investment for you in the Portfolio Editor (switching to the sub-portfolio if necessary). If you double click it will select it, and close the Find dialog.

This is where I'm getting tripped up. If an investment is found in several sub-portfolios, and the location field contains a string of text indicating which sub-portfolios the investment is in, what happens when I click the investment? Which sub-portfolio am I taken to?
aviator

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 am

Hi aviator,

It will just take you to that investment in the first sub-portfolio in this case. In this case it is the same investment, so no matter where you edit it, changes will be reflected in all locations.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions