Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transaction retrieval problem at Schwab

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi Hal,

I'm not sure then... Maybe we can do a quick web meeting, and I can take a look. Please send me an email, and we can arrange a time to meet.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Homer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 pm

Hey Mark,

Any updates on why still getting the "Failed to retrieve portfolio" message when trying to import transactions at Schwab over the last few days?

Homer
Homer

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi Homer,

Things appear to be working normal from here. Have you followed all the steps at:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... ersion.php

to set things up to use Schwab's new FDX server?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Hal Mayne » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Mark wrote:Hi Hal,

I'm not sure then... Maybe we can do a quick web meeting, and I can take a look. Please send me an email, and we can arrange a time to meet.

I just want to publicly acknowledge that through Mark's persistence, my access problems have now been solved (through the new transaction module 248 and some changes on Beiley's web site).

Can't say enough good things about Fund Manager team, both in being proactive in supporting the new Schwab API and then following up when things still did not work for some of us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Hal Mayne

Postby tommydom » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:12 pm

tommydom wrote:
Mark wrote:Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the information. Yes, the account numbers will be different from before, but that only affects the filename, and shouldn't impact anything about matching incoming transactions with existing ones. The TxOut versus Redemption would definitely cause a mis-match. Did I understand you correctly that you're only seeing these in your cash investment? There really isn't a difference in a cash TxOut versus Redemption, but they are different, so you would see what you're describing. Going forward, this shouldn't be a problem, as you'll be comparing FDX retrieved transactions against FDX, instead of the OFX versions...

Mark,

I understand the Cash transaction "no difference" between TxnOut and Sell and can deal with that.

I am getting duplicates on other transactions - Dividends, etc. I've sent a PM to you with an screen shot attachment with some information for you to review. The message seems to be in my OutBox but not in Sent, yet.

Tommy.

Mark,

Thank you for pointing out my missing CUSIP information for the investment transactions that are coming up as missing with the corresponding create new investment. I am still cleaning that up.

On the cash transactions, I am still stuck on certain types of Cash transactions. I use a feature at Schwab to do a target balance transfer - essentially automatically maintaining a constant balance in my Schwab checking account by automatically transferring cash from one account to maintain the balance in the checking account. These transactions when pulled from Schwab - NEW are coming into Fund Manager as "Reinv". Again these are automatic transfers that Schwab is doing for me. Any transfer I do now by hand are matched when I create a new transaction in Fund Manager that is a "Transfer Out" instead of a "Redemption".

In the unparsed log I see the transaction type as "Other" on the automatic transfers, specifically "transactionType":"OTHER". In Fund Manager, these are showing up as "Reinv". In the Schwab - OLD they were coming through Fund Manager as "Redemption". Even if I create a Sell or a Transfer Out transaction to try and get a match in Schwab - NEW, I still end up with the "Reinv" in Fund Manger.

Would you have a look at this?

Tommy.
tommydom

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi Tommy,

Sure, I can take a look. Please email me your log file from "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)..." and tell me the details of which transaction I should be looking at. I'll send you an email, so you can reply to that with this information.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 am

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the log file. We've made some updates, and I've emailed you a pre-release to address this issue. Can you let me know how it works for you? These "OTHER" default cash transactions should now show up as Sell transactions instead of Reinvestments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:29 pm

Mark:
Using Fund Manager Professional Version: 2020.16.11.100 Quote Module: 562
Fund Manager Transaction Retrieve returns the following error message:

Failed to retrieve portfolio.
Broker: Charles Schwab
Account Number: xxxxx123 (actually displays the correct Schwab account number)

Please Help! Had the same problem last Sunday and just let it slide since I could log on to Schwab and hand enter the necessary transactions. Today, there are several transactions and I don't want to have to hand enter this every week.

Hope this is not a revisit of the OFX problems in September & October of 2020.
Thanks, Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi Phil,

For Schwab you have to make a couple updates to your accounts in FM for it to continue retrieving. Please follow the instructions here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... ersion.php
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am

Mark:
Followed your documentation "How to retrieve transactions from Charles Schwab".
Started with sub-portfolio properties and selected Charles Schwab - NEW then pressed the "Get Access Code button.
Unfortunately, from Fund Manager - Transaction Retrieve all I get is:
Failed to obtain Access Code
Error Message HTTPS Add URL Error
Code: 6

Another message from Fund Manager – Transaction Retrieve
Failed to retrieve portfolio
Broker: Charles Schwab – NEW
Sub-Portfolio NQ1JNT
Account # xxxxxxxx
Error: Failed to obtain an Access Code
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi Good_Vibe,

1) What version of Windows are you using?
2) If you exit Fund Manager, and re-start it as an admin (Right mouse click on shortcut, and choose "Run as admin..."), and then try to get an Access Code, does that work?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Running Windows 8.1. Ran Fund Manager as administrator and get exactly the same error. Please advise. Thanks
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi Good_Vibe,

I'm not sure what else to try. Have you tried re-starting your computer, and then starting FM as an admin? Is it possible you have some sort of antivirus software you could try turning off temporarily? If neither of these resolves the problems, please give me a call at 480-705-0129, and we can do a quick web meeting.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:15 am

Mark:
Your intuition was right on target. Worked with McAfee (virus protection software) to deactivate the package while implementing the new protocol for retrieving transaction from Fund Manager. EXCELLENT SUPPORT! Thank you so much. Sincerely, Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Good_Vibe » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Mark:
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. Before the change this morning to get new access codes at Charles Schwab to resolve the recent OFX problem (so the transaction retrieve would work), the "Account Number" in each sub-portfolio report was the eight digit number assigned by Schwab. After getting new access codes for each of the five sub-portfolio we have at Schwab, the account numbers have been changed to something like this:
E4C7AAF30A3FDA7489B33BE4AF27C2C545ABB70FD67130B4888E6CDD5C867960
As you can imagine, this looks like crap in the portfolio reports. The account mnemonics we picked still show correctly in the reports, but the account numbers shown are a mess.
The portfolio name and account number for the master portfolio have not been butchered. However the account number for each of the sub-portfolios has been changed. Please advise what needs to be done to be able to continue to retrieve transactions from Schwab yet have the reports be readable.
Thanks, Phil
Good_Vibe

PreviousNext

Return to Prices and Transactions