Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transaction retrieval problem at Schwab

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby Stefan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:11 pm

Hello Mark,
Here is an issue, for me:
I have installed FM on 2 machines. On the 1st machine I update FM with latest prices & transactions. On the 2nd machine I just copy all the FM folder data from the 1st machine to keep it up to date.
I have set up both machines for the new Schwab access code and they both were able to retrieve transactions, initially. But, after I copy the FM folder data from the 1st machine to the 2nd machine, the 2nd machine shows an error when I try to retrieve transactions on it directly.
To fix it, I have to re-request the access code on the 2nd machine.
My question: is there some setting in the new Schwab transaction code which makes it machine specific? Because my transactions retrieval on the 2nd stops working if I copy over the 1st machine data, even tough it has the correct access code. Only after I request the access code directly on the 2nd machine, transactions on 2nd machine work again.
Second question: what is the recommended way to keep to FM installations in sync, outside copying the whole FM folder? I use a sync program which copies files from 1st to 2nd machine.
Stefan

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi Stefan,

Yes, you would also need to copy over the file:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Fund Manager\<access_code>.txt

as that contains tokens for that access code. This might get a little tricky though, as if you retrieve on machine A and it updates the tokens for your access code, you'd have to copy that file back to machine B if you wanted to retrieve from machine B.

The recommended way is to use backup/restore, or copy over all the data files, as you're doing now. Either way will work.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi Mark,

Here are the results of my tests trying to do what you suggested:

1. I got the access code on machine A and retrieved transactions on machine A. Then I copied the <access_code>.txt file from machine A to same location on machine B. I tried to retrieve transactions on machine B and it gave me the error.

2. Next, I retrieved the access code, again, on machine B and verified it works to retrieve transactions on B.

3. I did a FM backup on machine A. And I restored machine B with the machine A backup.

4. I tried again to retrieve the transactions on machine B, with the newly restored backup from A. This failed, same error trying to retrieve transactions.

5. I got once more the access code on machine B and this fixed the transaction retrieval problem.

So, neither of these 2 solutions you suggested seem to work. Pls advise
Stefan

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Stefan,

1. I got the access code on machine A and retrieved transactions on machine A. Then I copied the <access_code>.txt file from machine A to same location on machine B. I tried to retrieve transactions on machine B and it gave me the error.

What did the error message say?

3. I did a FM backup on machine A. And I restored machine B with the machine A backup.

4. I tried again to retrieve the transactions on machine B, with the newly restored backup from A. This failed, same error trying to retrieve transactions.

The Backup/Restore is not including the <access_code>.txt file, so you'd have to copy that in addition to doing the backup/restore. Sorry, I didn't make that clear.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Stefan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:55 pm

The error message says: Failed to retrieve portfolio
Account XXXXX...
Error:

No error number, nothing else
Stefan

Postby m4boys27 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:52 am

Mark wrote:
dlevy wrote:Oooh, there seems to be an issue with reconciling fixed income. Fund Manager reports 1000 shares of a treasury when the statement reports 100,000.

Okay, thanks for the problem report. Would you mind sharing your log file with us? Please reconcile this one account, and then email us your log file from "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)...". I'll send you an email, so you could reply to that.

Hi Mark,
I'm having the same issue with reconciling fixed income using the new Schwab method. Fund Manager reports 250 shares while Schwab reports 25,000 shares. Price is still based at 100+/-, not at 1+/-. If I reconcile by changing # shares from 250 to 25,000, then the total value is way too high.
m4boys27

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi m4boys27,

I believe this was fixed in 2020.16.11. What version are you using?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Hal Mayne » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 am

Any update for those of us still unable to successfully setup the "New" access for Schwab?

Retrieving transactions from Schwab had been working for me for several years. I have updated to 2020.16.11.100. I have multiple accounts (all tied to the same user ID) at Schwab. Going into the Transaction Retrieve Settings within Fund Manager, change the server to "Charles Schwab - NEW" and then click Get Access Code. I immediately get an error message (General Heading = "Failed to Retrieve Portfolio", Error = "Failed to Obtain an Access Code"). No web browser window opens. (And I have tried changing my default web browser from Brave to Edge to Chrome and back.) Going back to the old settings ("Charles Schwab - OLD") no longer works.

If I go directly to Schwab's web site and to Security Center, I already have third-party access enabled. The drop-down arrow is for "Quicken and TurboTax Desktop" which, according to the text, uses OFX. And indeed, downloading to Quicken has and continues to work. There is no option to add any other software. (I see other screen shots for other people on the web which show a drop down arrow for "OFX" and here on this forum other people appear to talk about a Fund Manager-specific entry.)

So far, Schwab has not been any help. They suggested reinstalling Fund Manager (which didn't solve the problem but did delete some custom reports I had created -sigh). They also directly gave me an Access Code, but that did not work either.

I know all of you at Beiley worked very hard to get FDX implemented, but it only seems to be working for some of us...
Hal Mayne

Postby tommydom » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:55 am

Mark, et al,

I've been able to update the accounts in FM to use the 'Charles Schwab - NEW' set up and it looks to be working well. Thank you very much!!

I always do an overlap of dates for the transaction retrieve, for example 9/26/2021 - 10/6/2021, and I am seeing some transactions come through from Schwab tha have already been collected and entered (with no edits before committing transactions to FM) even though I have the check mark in the "skip transactions already recorded" in the dialog box. I am still digging into this to see if I have messed anything up, but wondered if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Tommy.
tommydom

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:16 am

Hal Mayne wrote:...and then click Get Access Code. I immediately get an error message (General Heading = "Failed to Retrieve Portfolio", Error = "Failed to Obtain an Access Code"). No web browser window opens. (And I have tried changing my default web browser from Brave to Edge to Chrome and back.) Going back to the old settings ("Charles Schwab - OLD") no longer works...

Hi Hal Mayne,

It sounds like somehow Fund Manager isn't able to open your web browser. It should be opening a web browser to Schwab's site when you press Get Access Code. As a test, does the menu command:

Help / Fund Manager on the Web / Tutorial...

open your web browser to our tutorial page okay?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:19 am

tommydom wrote:I am seeing some transactions come through from Schwab tha have already been collected and entered (with no edits before committing transactions to FM) even though I have the check mark in the "skip transactions already recorded" in the dialog box

Hi Tommy,

I have seen other reports of this for interest payments on a bond. In that case, the transaction date was changed by 1 day. If you look at all the details of these problematic transactions, is anything different? For example, check the date as well as all the amounts, and transaction type. If anything is different, it won't be considered already in FM, and will show up again. I'm guessing there is something slightly different in how those transactions were being reported under OFX versus FDX.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tommydom » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:37 am

Mark wrote: ... If you look at all the details of these problematic transactions, is anything different? For example, check the date as well as all the amounts, and transaction type. If anything is different, it won't be considered already in FM, and will show up again. I'm guessing there is something slightly different in how those transactions were being reported under OFX versus FDX.

Mark,

The first difference I see is that the standard file name conventions for positions are using the new "account number" to attach to the symbol. Meaning the file name for account 9999 was APPL_9999.dat, and the new pull of transactions is actually trying to get a new position file created that is APPL_0123456789D0123456789.dat. So the file name is not matching, hence the request to me by the software to create a new file.

The cash transactions that are coming up as "duplicates" are the same date, amount, etc. and are pointing to the correct file - as I use default cash accounts - BUT they are being pulled from Schwab as TxnOut (new) instead of Redemption (old). I tried to add the check mark in the Advanced Options dialog "Record Transfer In/Out Transactions as Buy/Sell Transactions" but saw no difference. The same transactions come up - duplicates.

I am going to continue to look at some more of the transactions to see if there are any strange patterns left over.

Tommy.
tommydom

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:50 am

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the information. Yes, the account numbers will be different from before, but that only affects the filename, and shouldn't impact anything about matching incoming transactions with existing ones. The TxOut versus Redemption would definitely cause a mis-match. Did I understand you correctly that you're only seeing these in your cash investment? There really isn't a difference in a cash TxOut versus Redemption, but they are different, so you would see what you're describing. Going forward, this shouldn't be a problem, as you'll be comparing FDX retrieved transactions against FDX, instead of the OFX versions...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tommydom » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:39 am

Mark wrote:Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the information. Yes, the account numbers will be different from before, but that only affects the filename, and shouldn't impact anything about matching incoming transactions with existing ones. The TxOut versus Redemption would definitely cause a mis-match. Did I understand you correctly that you're only seeing these in your cash investment? There really isn't a difference in a cash TxOut versus Redemption, but they are different, so you would see what you're describing. Going forward, this shouldn't be a problem, as you'll be comparing FDX retrieved transactions against FDX, instead of the OFX versions...

Mark,

I understand the Cash transaction "no difference" between TxnOut and Sell and can deal with that.

I am getting duplicates on other transactions - Dividends, etc. I've sent a PM to you with an screen shot attachment with some information for you to review. The message seems to be in my OutBox but not in Sent, yet.

Tommy.
tommydom

Postby Hal Mayne » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:08 pm

Mark wrote:
Hal Mayne wrote:...and then click Get Access Code. I immediately get an error message (General Heading = "Failed to Retrieve Portfolio", Error = "Failed to Obtain an Access Code"). No web browser window opens. (And I have tried changing my default web browser from Brave to Edge to Chrome and back.) Going back to the old settings ("Charles Schwab - OLD") no longer works...

Hi Hal Mayne,

It sounds like somehow Fund Manager isn't able to open your web browser. It should be opening a web browser to Schwab's site when you press Get Access Code. As a test, does the menu command:

Help / Fund Manager on the Web / Tutorial...

open your web browser to our tutorial page okay?

Unfortunately, that's not the problem (or at least not all of it).

Help / Fund Manager on the Web / Tutorial opens my web browser just fine (goes right to https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/tutor.html).

Hal
Hal Mayne

PreviousNext

Return to Prices and Transactions