Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM not Retrieving a Commissioned Mutual Fund Transaction

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:40 am

Hi Mark,

Happy Labor Day weekend! I executed a commissionable mutual fund trade at Fidelity in a Roth IRA account. The odd part is FM is not recognizing the transaction. (I.e retrieve transactions pulls down all other transactions on that day but not that one.) Trade was executed on Aug 26th so it has definitely settled.

The security has a type of no-load mutual fund. It was transferred from another broker about two years ago but this is the first buy/sell transaction of this security at Fidelity. What is also perplexing is FM correctly recognized and downloaded the reinvested dividends and capital gains back in December 2018 and 2019. Commissioned stock trades at Fidelity have executed without issue so I was a little surprised. This is the first commissioned mutual fund trade at Fidelity so I do not have another example to compare against.

Appreciate any help working through this.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:56 am

Hi Jason,

If you look in the log file under "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Parsed)..." after retrieving this account for a date range that covers this transaction do you see any sign of it?

Some possibilities:

1) It is already retrieved. You can test by turning off "Skip transactions already in FM" temporarily.

2) Wrong date range.

3) Maybe it is under a different account number somehow?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:02 am

Hi Mark,

When I look at xmldump.txt I see the ticket/CUISP under the MY'INFO loops. There is *not* an entry for it under the BUYMF loops though I see the other transactions.

1. I used the date range of 8/1/20 - 9/8/20 and turned off "Skip transactions already in FM" but the transaction did not retrieve. (The other expected transactions all appear to be there.)

2. See #1. Confirmed online with Fidelity the transaction occurred on 8/24/20 and settled on 8/25/20

3. So this is interesting. I looked at the account number for the mutual fund in question and it had an old old account number. I ran a custom report including the "account" field and the account numbers for the mutual funds in that brokerage folder were all over the map. (I have consolidated them among brokers over the last few years) I updated all of the account numbers in each security to the correct one and reran #1 above but the transaction did not appear.)

I did confirm that the security in question has the correct CUISP (It does)

Are MF buys with a commission handled differently by FM as part of retrieved transactions? What do you want me to check next?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:08 am

Mark - on a whim I reconciled the account and the only discrepancy is the cash is high and this mutual fund is short the amount of the transaction. Not sure what that proves but inclines me to sense it is only this one security being effected.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:24 am

Hi Jason,

It sounds like that transaction is not coming down from the broker for some reason. MF transactions are not handled differently. Also, the account number investment property doesn't matter here. Only the account number on the sub-portfolio matters. Since it is showing up when you reconcile, the broker does have it in this account. I can't say why it isn't coming down when you retrieve transactions. It may be an error or some other limitation on the broker's end. You could send the log to your broker, and ask them about it. For now, to fix things, you can just manually record this transaction.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks Mark. I can contact Fidelity's help desk and inquire.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If it were a smaller company (USAA, T Rowe Price, etc) I could understand but its Fidelity. While I am sure transaction fee Mutual Funds trades are not a high volume of the millions of transactions they process a day, I find it hard to believe I am the first to find this issue.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:59 am

Hi Jason,

I don't recall hearing about this before...
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 am

Hi Mark,

For what it is worth, under investment properties --> other tab --> I noticed I had transaction entry preference set to "No fees" instead of "commission fees." I am not sure if this would have made a difference. When I purchase the fund again, I will let you know.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:21 am

Hi Jason,

This option affects only manual entry. It wouldn't change how a transaction was imported.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions