Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Dividing a portfolio in two?

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dlevy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:22 pm

I am going to need to take an existing portfolio, divide the assets in half, and move them into two new portfolios, maintaining historic prices and cost basis.

I'm sure I can figure out how to do it by exporting the transactions into an excel readable file, dividing quantities by two and importing the file twice into the new portfolios.

I think I'll have to export and import prices as well.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Is there an easier way?

With thanks,

David
dlevy

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi David,

Another option would be to use the "Transfer Between" command on each investment. You could use this to move half your shares. This command does transfer the cost basis of each lot as of the date of transfer. You can find this command by right clicking on an investment and choose "Investment Data / Transfer Between...". See the online help from this dialog for more details.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks, Mark. That might be easier, although there are some investments with multiple lots. It looks as though I'll have to "transfer between" lot-by-lot as the only accounting methods are FIFO, specified lot, and average. What I need is half of each lot. I'll play around with it. David
dlevy

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi David,

Yes, you're right. The un-sold shares being transferred are done so with the FIFO method always, so this might not be what you're looking for.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dlevy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:42 am

Mark,

Yes, the "transfer between" does not handle lots the way I need to.

I am doing an export in generic format, editing the text file in excel to divide the right fields in half, and the doing a generic import.

Everything seems to work except I need to go into sales by hand and match them with lot sold. Is there any way to carry that over from the original portfolio where the sells were already matched?

With thanks,

David
dlevy

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:31 am

Hi David,

Unfortunately, no. The specified lot information isn't something you can export/import currently.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions