Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Closing an investement

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby divinest » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:55 am

Hi Mark-

I have some (older) options transactions that have expired or purchased back, if i choose to close the option investment what are the impacts (i.e: what happens to the cash balances, reports and any other impacts overall). To be more specific there are few call option that were expired and don't want then to keep causing performance impact on custom reports.

Also Do you have and recommended best practices on how to clear up / purge old transactions ?

Thanks!
divinest

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 am

Hi divinest,

We recommend hiding investments instead of closing them. When you close an investment, it is removed completely from your sub-portfolio. So, it won't be included in any historical valuation/performance calculations. If you hide it instead, it is still included in calculations, but just not displayed (unless you turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios"). We have a tutorial on how to hide investments.

In general it is best to leave old transactions as they occurred. If you've sold all of some investment, then just hide the investment. You can always un-hide it again later if you buy it again.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby divinest » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks Mark Agreed, the reason i was asking is for the following scenarios
1. Covered Call (expired worthless) options do not reduce the cost basis on the security sold against
2. Custom fields in reports taking up longer to run, when have all these additional transactions
divinest

Return to Prices and Transactions