Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Retrieve Historical Quotes Not Working (at least for me)

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby SteveP » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 pm

When I try to download historical quotes using Internet Retrieve/Historical Prices the program pops up a box titled Retieve - Internet (YAHOO), seems to download some data, then prompt for the beginning and end dates (seems odd to download first) then a box titled Retrieve - Internet (YAHOO-HISTORICAL) comes up downloads some data, including GETTING CRUMB, and then starts in on some bonds from FINRA then finally puts up a box that says "The following symbol/server combinations failed to update: C658297 from (YAHOO) [this is a US Treas. bond] lists four more bonds it couldn't find on YAHOO and ends with "plus 127 more...". After this is done nothing has had historical quotes applied. I looked up C658297 properties under its Internet Retrieve tab and the Quote Server is set to Finra - Bonds and the Historical Quote Server is set to <Default Server>. I'm trying to understand what I could be doing wrong. Is there some problem with these bonds getting looked up on YAHOO? I was expecting that if there were something that could not be looked up if would just continued to download historical data on stocks.
SteveP

Postby Mark » Mon May 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi SteveP,

When you use the historical price retrieve, it will retrieve all open investments, and use whatever quote server is assigned for each investment. If you have "Yahoo" assigned as the historical quote server for some investments, then it will use Yahoo instead of Yahoo (Historical). The places to check are:

Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve

and

Options / Internet Settings...

The second one is where you find what you have set for the <default server>.

If some investment can't be retrieved, FM will just continue on retrieving all the rest you have set to retrieve. By default you are notified about any investments that were set to retrieve and couldn't update any price.

Yahoo doesn't offer bond prices, so you'll want to either get them from Finra, or they can be updated when you retrieve transactions from your broker.

For some more help/explanation, check out our Retrieving Prices Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SteveP » Mon May 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Thanks. I had the historical quote server set to YAHOO instead of YAHOO HISTORICAL. I guess when I did that I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks - Steve
SteveP

Return to Prices and Transactions